Any string suggestions (guitar & bass)?

Unsprung

My Squier Fat Telecaster has the same strings that was on it, when I bought it 2 years ago, and my Squier P-bass has the same that was on it, when I bought it 4 years ago. As such, and especially with the bass, I'm having to re-tune everytime I decide to play. Yes, it's about high time I find the motivation to re-string both of them.

For the Fat Tele, I'm going to go with Ernie Ball Slinky strings, but my question here is, WHICH Slinky's? Custom, Hybrid or Super?

With the P-bass, I've never really had to consider different string types, as it is my first one. What brand is good, and what type and gage of string would best suit my needs/playing style? The biggest thing I'm looking for is, to eliminate some of the scraping I get, when moving up and down the finger board (I get this, quite noticeable, when I play Pink Floyd's "Money"). String gage I'll probably hafta figure out, for myself, since only I can be the best judge of what kinda sustain/decay suits me.

I'll more than likely go with Hybrid Slinky's, on the Fat Tele, but I'm open to input, concerning the Custom and Super Slinky sets.

Matt in Indiana

Unsprung said:
My Squier Fat Telecaster has the same strings that was on it, when I bought it 2 years ago, and my Squier P-bass has the same that was on it, when I bought it 4 years ago. As such, and especially with the bass, I'm having to re-tune everytime I decide to play. Yes, it's about high time I find the motivation to re-string both of them.

nah man....don't bother.....strings are over rated.....you probably have a few years left with the strings you have on there....

it's an awful cycle to fall into......
today it's changing strings...tomorrow it'll be Heroin....

:rolleyes:

I use GHS 10-46 for electric guitars and I like Elixir Nanoweb strings for bass.The Elixers have a coating that makes them slicker feeling and helps eliminate finger noise.They don't have quite the briteness of a new, uncoated string, but last longer.They're pricy, around $45 a set.Some people love 'em, some hate 'em.

I use DR-Pure Nickel.
But far more important than the brand is to change them just a bit more often than every few years. :rolleyes:
The bass is a different matter. If you don't play out a lot......then they can last for quite a while......but guitar strings? Man ...... 2 years is really stretching it about 40 miles past the breaking point!

Lt. Bob said:
I use DR-Pure Nickel.
But far more important than the brand is to change them just a bit more often than every few years. :rolleyes:
The bass is a different matter. If you don't play out a lot......then they can last for quite a while......but guitar strings? Man ...... 2 years is really stretching it about 40 miles past the breaking point!

Amen!I change guitar strings every 1-2 weeks and bass once a month.It's the best thing you can do to improve your tone.

ok...a real answer...

I use.......
Black Diamond mediums on my Alvarez RD8...

Elixer Nano 13s on my Taylor 314CE...

Electraflex nickel wounds ACB-LT on my P-bass

ghs alloy roundwound DYL lights on my Sheraton

D'Addario match 9s on my Les Paul

Martin Classical strings on my Romanian classical

Martin Greens (bronze) on my Martin 000-18

You have to experiment to find what sounds best...
it takes some time...I tried Alchemys on my Taylor
($20.00 a set)...sounded lousy....went right back to Elixers...

Joe

I prefer D'addario for both electric guitar and bass. I've been told that these are crap, but the sound works for me. They definately have less warmth than GHS.

I change them a week before recording. For longer periods of time, they typically break just at the corrosion point.

Cy

on my guitars I use GHS Guitar Boomers, 10s or 9s....theyre like 4 bucks a pack, plus they last, so why not ;)

on my basses, I use GHS Bassics, theyre like 15 bucks a pack, and after like a month of playing, they lose that bright sound, and get a deep badass growl on em, most noticeably on P/J or J style pickups, although I have to order these online because no place around here sells them, only bass boomers, but bass boomers are way too bright and clangy for me

I second the motion for Diaddarios. I use those for both my electric guitars and my acoustic. I usually go with the 10s for electric guitar.

I used to use Super Slinkys many years ago but I think they are kind of weak. The other guitarist in my old band swears by DRs so I tried them for one gig. I broke a damn string during the first solo I played-- haven't used them since. I'm sure it was just a fluke, but screw it, I'm happy with Diaddarios. Plus, you can get 3-packs of electric guitar string for around $10. That way, anybody should be able to afford to change their strings more often than 2 years!

I used rotosound mediums for many yrs but the metal composition seemed to have changed back in the 80`s, they just dont have the tone anymore and dont last very long before they dull up. THe GHS boomers were an economical alternative that had a good sound. The DR`s were really good but the tone goes quickly with them as well. I have enjoyed some good milage using Ken Smith bass strings on the 5 string.

I've had to try different brands to see what brings out the best in each guitar.

T-60: D'addario XL's
Strat and Showmaster: Fender 150's
Les Paul: still looking ;)

I think that spring guage is a matter of personal taste. I have always used 10-46 on my electrics and I have the nuts and neck tension setup especially for this string guage.

I started out using GHS Boomers because they were cheap back in the 1980s. I tried Dean Markely for a while, but the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky #2221 has been my string of choice for many, many years. Never had a breakage issue.

A few months ago, I was asked to do some guitar work on a recording at the spur of the moment. I needed new strings and all the shop had was D'Addario. I could not believe how my sound changed, even in the same guage. It went from rich and roomy, to thin and bright. I had to change them back. I couldn't use that guitar on the recording.

I use Roto-Sound 12-54s on acoustics and they are custom setup for that string guage as well.

On the Kelly Bass, I use any good flatwound string I can find. I'm not brand-loyal to strings on my bass, because flatwounds are so hard to find around here. I think the sound is richer with a flatwound string.

You might have to try a few sets and see how they affect your tone. Small changes can sometimes mage a huge difference. Best of luck...Bert

rotosounds all the way! i use roto reds electric guitar strings on my epi les paul, and roto swing bass 66s on my tanglewood bass.

i don't know about the rest of these guys, but i don't hear a big difference in different types of strings unless they're those crap coated strings or different gauge than.......new strings are new strings to me...........i just want strings that are going to last longer than a week.....

i played ernie ball power slinky strings for about 6 months, but i was putting about 2 sets a week on. that's prbably an exaggeration, it was like 3 years ago, but you get the idea. i didn't have a job, so i wasn't even able to keep strings on my guitar. it sucked.

i switched to d'addario strings and played them for about a year and a half, maybe longer.........they last about double the amount of time that ernie ball strings last.

then a friend of mine talked me into trying gibson strings. I always hated everything gibson because i thought they charged more than their product was worth.

anyway. i left my first set of gibsons on for as long as i could jsut to see how long they would last. they broke like 4 months later after i pounded on them and was purposely trying to break them.
i didn't playin a band, and didn't play out, so i didn't care how bad they sounded...i just wanted to see how long they lasted. the second set only lasted about a month and a half.........that's about the length of time they've lasted since then.

i personally would go with gibsons. they don't cost much, if any more than the other strings and they last a lot longer.

also, gibson has some kind of new coated string that is supposed to actually sound like a new string when you put it on.....unlike the elixer strings.......if your into coated strings, you may want to check those out.

donkeystyle said:
also, gibson has some kind of new coated string that is supposed to actually sound like a new string when you put it on.....unlike the elixer strings.......if your into coated strings, you may want to check those out.

?

I thought new strings were supposed to sound like new strings...

I've always been a D'Addario man, but really Unsprung, I wouldn't bother, it's cheaper to get a tetanus injection and keep the ones you've got..

"?

I thought new strings were supposed to sound like new strings..."

that's the problem with the elixer strings they sound dead when u buy them.......the new gibson coated strings are supposed to sound good.........i haven't heard them though and i'm not sure if i believe it.

Since about 1996 I've been religiously using Blue Steel mediums or regulars on a 92 Strat.

I just bought a brand new Telecaster yesterday, and I'm going to use what it came with and then maybe try some Fender strings.
I just like not trying a bunch of different ones out after I've found something I like.

Does anyone use Blue Steels? After a little breaking in they're great, I actually really don't like the sound of brand new strings.

Can't remember what's on my acoustic (95 Epiphone PR5 LE) but I've liked the Martin strings I've had on it several times.

Back