Any opinions on SX guitars

sxbeast

I bought a guitar from rondomusic.com and it was really cheap, like 120 dollars for a electric strat style guitar. I've had no issues with it, and it sounds great, but I've never seen them listed anywhere else. I'm just curious if you guys have ever had one or seen one

A few weeks ago I was looking for a cheap bass for recording purposes (I play guitar and wanted to do my own bass lines as well).

I found the SX version of a Fender Jazz Bass on Craigslist for fifty bucks and gobbled it up. Normally it sells new for around $160 from what I could find on the net.

The bass didn't have a mark on it. The construction was good, the neck straight, the action a bit high (easily corrected), and the sound great. I pulled the plate and checked the wiring (said to be a problem on some models) and found it adequate, the soldering good, but let's face it, cheap pots and pickups. I doubt I'll upgrade the pups since it's only for recording here at home.

All in all it's the best fifty bucks I ever spent. I put a new set of strings on it (they were six years old, same age as the guitar) and I am happy as hell with it.

Yeah, it's not a fancy or expensive bass, but it works well.

I've actually wound up with 2 SX's in my pile - a 57 strat copy and a jazz bass copy. I pimped them both a little bit; bone nuts, new bridge for the bass, new pups and scrathplate for the strat, but I'd put them up against the newer squiers or other "entry level" guitars. They are made from actual wood for a start (so many cheapies are plywood), pretty good neck "feel" imo.

I did have to dress the fret ends on both as they were pretty sharp, but aside from that I think they're alright. For under $150 you can't complain! It won't compare to a USA or Jap strat but if you're expecting that you're mad. :drunk:

Ive got 5 guitars from rondo... AMAZING.
My sister's been learning and I just bought her the strat style/amp package... the same stuff I began on... years ago :(:)

I bought a fretless from them.
The build quality was really a lot better than any import I have ever bought.
The pickups don't have a really strong output, but it sounds good.
It is just when I switch from the fretless to my fretted bass, there is a big volume difference.

Back