Any compentant Zoom 506II Bass effects pedaal users here?

JohnDeacon

I got one of these over a year ago, tried it, went "this is fucking usless", and put it in my wardrobe.

However a year later, I got it out and came to the realization that it may be useful for something, and the fact that I hated it so much was probably due to the fact that I couldnt work the thing properly.

Anyone a keen user of this pedal here? Any good tones from it that I should check out?

What I would personally like to try and get from it is the kina sounds that mark king gets from his basses. Anyone whos had a good listen to him play without the synths of level 42 blocking out his playing will know what I mean. I know it wont be possible to sound exactly like the rather expensive active basses that he uses on my passive one, but will this pedal bring me any closer? If anyone does know how to do this or has any advice or or opinions on it it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

-David (the guy whos still having pinky trouble :-))

I've heard Mark King play on different kinds of basses and I can tell you this: Mark King's sound comes mostly from his ultrafast fingers. Forget the Zoom, you'd better train that pinky ;)

christiaan said:
I've heard Mark King play on different kinds of basses and I can tell you this: Mark King's sound comes mostly from his ultrafast fingers. Forget the Zoom, you'd better train that pinky ;)

I thought I was the only one who worshipped Mark King. He is my favorite bassist.

With that said I have to second Christiaan in saying that MK's tone is from his fingers.

Other than that, try some chorus or EQ/compression to thicken up your tone.

clif

I use the 506II with my Peavy bass.. I stay with preset "b2" because it fits well with my music.. I've had nothing but good luck with it..

I record from the 506II into an ART Tube preamp.. I also play with a pick..

Cy

Yep don't worry I am aware that playing like mark takes alot of practice (and skill), but I just want happy with the sound i was getting from my passive bass, so I'll try what you suggested cliff.

By the way cliff I checked out your bands website, all very professional looking and kept me entertained for a good few minutes. Brilliant stuff and I suggest that anyone who hasnt been there already takes a wee look at it.

JohnDeacon said:
Yep don't worry I am aware that playing like mark takes alot of practice (and skill), but I just want happy with the sound i was getting from my passive bass, so I'll try what you suggested cliff.

By the way cliff I checked out your bands website, all very professional looking and kept me entertained for a good few minutes. Brilliant stuff and I suggest that anyone who hasnt been there already takes a wee look at it.

Thanks man!

clif

Back