Any clue what this vintage guild is?

zrockisaddictin

im about to buy a vintage guild, the serial number though does not match to the ones available and is in a incomplete section of guilds serial number charts

it has a purple body, with a white lightning bolt falling from diagonal upper left to lower right which is outlined in silver, it has a double locking tremolo, and a single humbucker in bridge position, its also a flat-top body, all i know is its 20 or 30 years old and the price it was bought for was 900$ then.

please, what model can it be?

will we ever know?! lol

and also would it be better for me to get this guitar at the amazing offer of 300$ my friends dad gave me WITH a hardshell case or should i look for a new guitar around that price level 300-400?

i think i should stick to it

I think the reason you're having a hard time finding the serial number is because Guild has been bought and sold quite a few times in it's history. It's now owned by Fender (for about the last ten years). It's difficult to give you an idea on the guitar you want without seeing pics, but in all honesty, Guild did make some not-so-good products through the 70s and 80s. Can't say what yours is (you didn't supply model numbers or anything identifiable), but it seems you really want it. Who are we to say...if you want it, get it! Guitars are a personal thing...either they fit you or they don't. Go with your gut.

I suggest going to the Guild/DeArmond sub-board on the FDP and asking. There are a few real Guild experts there with almost encyclopedic knowledge of the models.
Here...

Not much info to go on, but what you describe sounds like a 'big hair, mid-80's' shredder - a Jackson wannabe.

From a regular collectors point of view (i.e. non-Guild collector), this would not be considered a 'vintage' guitar. The guy trying to sell it to you is probably talking it up as a vintage piece but it's not.

I think at that time, Guild were making guitars in various Pacific Rim countries, and this is probably one of those. Without any info, it's difficult to pin it down.

My 2 cents is that if you like the guitar, then buy it. It has value as a guitar, not as a vintage piece.

zrockisaddictin said:
can someone tell me at least if this is a good deal?

to me it seems great

A while back, a guy named Flip Scipio worked at Mandolin Brothers in NY. www.mandolinbrothers.com He was the head tech at Guild around the time you're talking about. I doubt he's still there, but Mandolin or Gruhn is probably your best bet that I can think of, short of contacting Guild directly

Back