amps crackling using certain guitar overdrives

Fetusborg

hello all

i tested out a fender roc pro 700 at a shop today and came a across a curious problem.

playing through my strat and my jeckyll&hyde overdrive pedal... it happens that while the hyde distortion channel was on by itself... every time i played... the amp would crack a bit. ugly sound.

(those who arent familiar with this pedal, it has two drive stomps: jeckyl- overdrive / hyde-distortion. you can use them at the same time also)

so i investigated to see if the amp simply just cracked at certain overdrive and/or volume levels.
it didnt. i played loud as hell on all possible variations: jekyll stomp; amps overdrive; both pedal stomps on; both pedal stomps and amp overdrive on.

and it only crackled on that one distortion thing alone.

my question:

what the hell?

anyone have any idea on why this would happen?
what makes an amp not compatible with a certain type of distortion?
is it frequencies? waves?

an intriguing mess.

thanks

I'd say that there's a bad circuitboard connection on the overdrive side of the pedal that is bypassed in any other configuration...But without a tech and a scope, well... :confused:

Eric

that might be it.
i sometimes have trouble with that distortion stomp... where it simply doesnt distort... just works as a volume booster. then i stomp on it a few more times and then it goes into gear.

i know nothing about eletronics... but i emailed the pedals maked... and they sent me back some instructions to test it out. opening it up, using eletrical equipment to check out the 6 points or something on it. haha, i know nothing.

anyway... that might answer my question than.
i didnt know that that could screw up the actual SOUND coming from the amp. i thought it was just a problem isloted to the pedal and thats it, if you know what i mean.

good idea
but im sure that cant be. i use the worst third grade amp available... and i havent had this problem yet.

i've never heard of pedal-amp incompatibility.
especially in this case... overdrive pedal - fender amp.
they were practically born together.

anyone ever heard of this?

im going to buy the amp today! :D :eek:
i think im in need of some reassurance.
i'll buy the amp, then send in my pedal to have it looked at.

Back