Amplitube and Garageband Users

Rufio90210

Hi,

I would like any guitarists with Amplitube and garageband to tell me which one they personally prefer for getting a good guitar tone.

Or are they both very similar?

I didn't know that GarageBand was an amp sim. I've been thinking of getting Amplitube myself coz I spend a lot of time playing in hotel rooms.

I have no idea about the included sims in Garageband but I really enjoy Amplitube (and Waves GTR3 for that matter). I don't use them much for recording but they (Amplitube and GTR3) really work well for playing around when the wife is trying to sleep and getting general ideas down for later.

You can download a demo of GTR3 and there is a free version of Amplitube 3 to play around with (doesn't really include much at all but you can add individual amps/pedals in the custom shop for cheap). Give them a shot and see what you think.

I don't know much about amplitube. I don't really like the sims in logic or garage band but they can work for some clean stuff. My current way-out-in-front favorite is Scuffham S-Gear. Favorite is not the right word because I really don't like sims. I was surprised in a good way by Waves GTR3.

What do you need to get Amplitube working for your iPad. Is it just one of them iRig things?

What do you need to get Amplitube working for your iPad. Is it just one of them iRig things?
I've chatted to Andertons. You just need an iRig and then you install amplitube for free to start with. You can then purchase additional amp models as you need them.

Will try and post some tones over the weekend.

Holding off the main amp purchase as long as possible!

I've chatted to Andertons. You just need an iRig and then you install amplitube for free to start with. You can then purchase additional amp models as you need them.

Will try and post some tones over the weekend.

Holding off the main amp purchase as long as possible!

So instead you're spending that money on phone attachments and amp apps?

Well, they're all things I need.

New mic
Amp
Hotel room set up (i work away a lot)
More pedals

The shop will call when they get the amp in stock again for me to try.
Mic can wait till after the amp.
iRig and amplitube and REAPER for the iPad are cheap.
Pedals are an as and when purchase. No rush.

I am also renovating my house and going to Portugal surfing for a few weeks soon.

Well, they're all things I need.

New mic
Amp
Hotel room set up (i work away a lot)
More pedals

The shop will call when they get the amp in stock again for me to try.
Mic can wait till after the amp.
iRig and amplitube and REAPER for the iPad are cheap.
Pedals are an as and when purchase. No rush.

I am also renovating my house and going to Portugal surfing for a few weeks soon.
I also need to fix wah wah which reminds me I need to buy a switch, some solder and mod bits

I've installed basic Amplitube on my iPod and Samsung Android. Weird. There's a lot more stuff included for free on the android. But obviously I can't get GarageBand on the android!

Don't know if there is a tone difference yet, I have been home since I ordered the iRig and installed Amplitube.

Waves has GTR3 on sale today only for $69.00... Just a head's up.

Yeah...I was just going to post the same info.

You can get it for $62 if you buy through Audio Deluxe (one of my favorite plug outlets...always cheaper than anyone else).

I don't really use sims...but I have a couple of guitar apps in the DAW for that "just in case" moment, and the Waves GT3 at $62 ain't a bad deal.

Amplitube 3 is fun, and can get a lot of very useable tones from it. My fave is Scuffham Amps, though. Not as many bells and whistles, but what it does, it does very well.

I've found the free "lead" amp with amplitube a bit shit with all of my guitars and especially shit with my Washburn which is my travelling guitar. GarageBand seems to have a few more options - although I did spend ages fucking about with the cello sim the other night.

My fave is Scuffham Amps, though. Not as many bells and whistles, but what it does, it does very well.

Funny...I was just getting ready to post about Scuffham S-Gear.

I'm an amp user. I have a bunch of of very sweet tube amps, and that's how I record guitar 99.99% of the time.
That said, I always like having more tools available to pick from, and for that 00.01% moment. Like I have a reamp setup...but I never reamp. I just wanted to have those tools for when the need comes up.
I do have some soft amps in my DAW....I think a real old version of Amplitube (it could have been a freebie), and last year I purchased Rockrack from Brainworx, which is a very high-end, but simple/straightforward soft amp plug. It has only like 4-5 amp/cab/mic choices, but they spent a lot of time getting them really great sounding.

So I happened to come across the Scuffham S-Gear stuff a week ago, and saw that it got absolutely top reviews for its sound quality. its touch response and amp choices. It doesn't give you 50 amps/cabs and 300 FX options...but then, WTF does anyone need all that? :D
What it does give is some of the most realistic soft amps that I've ever heard.
Combining the Brainworx Rockrack, which IMO leans a bit more in the high-gain, Hard Rock/Metal flavors, with the Scuffham S-Gear...it's some potent guitar recording options for those wanting and needing to work ITB.

Anyway, if you're looking for a top quality soft amp application/plug...Scuffham has a May sale for $99 (regular $129) for their new iLok version S-Gear...but there's only today and tomorrow left for the sale price.

Scuffham S-Gear

The non-iLok version is not on sale, because they appear to be moving away from that.
I also had a few email exchanges with Mike Scuffham about some options....and he seems like a very nice guy. Responded to my emails within 24 hours (I think he's in a different time zone then me in the US...I believe he's based in England?)

Back