amp simulator

mikey@thecave

i want to get a guitar amp simulator for Rock music.Not to much on the metal side.I was thinkin of the vox tonelab.Just for studio use.Something with good mellow distortion not that buzzy kind.

I was actually looking into this for a while too. I tried out both the sansamp classic GT2 and classic. The problem I found was with sustained distortion. It would hold for a while, then get a strange digital distortion fizzle and cut off. Almost like there was a gate of some kind. I decided to just get a small amp instead. The issue was much more obvious with the GT2.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I personally think Amplitube sucks balls and sounds like ass.

You are. The general consensus is that amplitube 2 is the best for tube amp emulation. Not only in sound but also in dynamics.

If you're refering to the first amplitube then I'd agree.

mikey@thecave said:
i want to get a guitar amp simulator for Rock music.Not to much on the metal side.I was thinkin of the vox tonelab.Just for studio use.Something with good mellow distortion not that buzzy kind.

I always say GT8 or line6, where you can build your own imaginary stack, pretend mic placement, pic cabinet size and speaker type. You'll have just about any effect you need. To sum it up,they're more complete IMHO

warrengtype said:
You are. The general consensus is that amplitube 2 is the best for tube amp emulation. Not only in sound but also in dynamics.

I have Native Instruments' Guitar Combos....what I thought was cool about amplitude was that you got all those modelled vintage stomp boxes too.

warrengtype said:

No he's not and no it isn't. Amplitube does suck balls and isn't anywhere remotely close to emulating a tube amp. It is what it is, stop trying to convince yourself it's otherwise. BTW who and where is this consensus you speak of?

danny.guitar said:
Maybe I'm alone on this but I personally think Amplitube sucks balls and sounds like ass.
Craplitube sounds just about as good as a Gorilla practice amp that was dropped down a flight of stairs, left outside in the rain for a week, and then shit on by a family of St. Bernards [ I hate when that happens].

jonnyc said:
No he's not and no it isn't. Amplitube does suck balls and isn't anywhere remotely close to emulating a tube amp. It is what it is, stop trying to convince yourself it's otherwise. BTW who and where is this consensus you speak of?

Yes he is and yes it does. Amplitube 2 does not suck balls and is very close to emulating a tube amp. It is what it is, stop trying to convince yourself otherwise. I'm speaking of the general consensus on the KVR board.

I'm betting you haven't even tried amplitube 2.

*also, if you have and can't get good tones from it, I'd say it's more user error than anything.

ocnor said:
Craplitube sounds just about as good as a Gorilla practice amp that was dropped down a flight of stairs, left outside in the rain for a week, and then shit on by a family of St. Bernards [ I hate when that happens].

That's nothing more than and out an out lie. Funny, sure, but pure bullshit.

You people keep saying AMPLITUBE. Do you even realize I'm talking about Amplitube 2? As in, the second, newer version? Yeah, the old one was crap. But this new one is a completely different beast. Do yourselves a favor and download the demo on the link I provided above.

I am cheap, so I use SIR, beamsonic cab impulses and simulanalog Guitar Suite

it's a good alternative if you don't want to spend money

NI Guitar Rig 2 is ridiculously cool - and ridiculously expensive.
You could also look into a POD ... which are also very cool. (second version far better than the first from what I read)

RedStone said:
I am cheap, so I use SIR, beamsonic cab impulses and simulanalog Guitar Suite

it's a good alternative if you don't want to spend money

NI Guitar Rig 2 is ridiculously cool - and ridiculously expensive.
You could also look into a POD ... which are also very cool. (second version far better than the first from what I read)

Guitar Suite is good. Before A2 it was about the best you could get, plus it was free. Guitar Rig 2 has crappy amp sims, but the fx and the endless possibilities of chaining them together is really cool and lots of fun to play with.

For hardware amp sims, there's really not much that can do the mellow mid-gain types of tones too well. Most of them do high gain tones fine, though. For what you want Mikey, I'd say just get a cheap, small tube amp. Those Epiphone valve jr amps are fairly cheap and would do what you want just fine.

danny.guitar said:

Yes you are. ;)

That's funny I love amplitude. LOL!! I didn't even know there was a second version. LOL!!

Sweet!

Gotta try it out. :D

warrengtype said:
That's nothing more than and out an out lie. Funny, sure, but pure bullshit.

You people keep saying AMPLITUBE. Do you even realize I'm talking about Amplitube 2? As in, the second, newer version? Yeah, the old one was crap. But this new one is a completely different beast. Do yourselves a favor and download the demo on the link I provided above.

Yeah we all do. I heard the samples on their ad for "supermodeling" and it sounded horrible.

I remember hearing the samples and not being impressed as well. You should download the demo and try it out, then make a judgement based on actual experience.

Interesting dynamic:
50ish rep point folk = AMPLIDUDE
100+ rep point folk = AMPLIDUD
Does this translate to in the know vs in the doh?
I like tubeliamps myself but then again being an antipodean I'd prefer to refer to a valve amp.

Personally, I highly enjoy Amplitube and am looking forward to trying out Amplitube 2. It's sometimes a little bit hard to get a workable sound from, but definitely possible.

I enjoy using Amplitube for its incredibly unrealistic hi-gain settings.
It'll never sound like a real amp, or even close, but it is quite fun :)

I'd like to hear some other modelers - especially the NI one.
Usually I just plug my amp in - but a good digital modeler could be useful on occasion for writing and demoing sessions.

Back