Amp Simulator?

Johnbmx26

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm usually browsing the drum forums, but I'd like to start learning how to play guitar. Today I was planning on going out to buy some stuff.

I've read a lot about the squier 51's, and I've heard they're one of the best deals for the price.. would this be a good beginner guitar?

Also, since I won't be gigging, I'd like to connect my guitar to my computer, and use effects like amplitube, and stuff in garageband or logic. I'm running an ibook G4 1.2 ghz, with 1.25 gigs of ram. Any suggestions on software for the effets/amp simulator?

Speakers/Monitors? I'm really lost here, no Idea what to get. Right now I have the Bose Companion speakers with the 2 speakers. I also have the Bose Companion with the 3 speakers (two small speakers, and sub). Would one of these be fine, or should I look into nicer monitors? Will I lose any quality by buying monitors.

Other than the guitar and speakers. What else do I need to get this running? I have an griffin imic, and I believe I can connect my guitar to this and that's all I need? Will their be any latency issues?

Thanks
John

Johnbmx26 said:
Hello,
I'm new here. I'm usually browsing the drum forums, but I'd like to start learning how to play guitar. Today I was planning on going out to buy some stuff.

I've read a lot about the squier 51's, and I've heard they're one of the best deals for the price.. would this be a good beginner guitar?

Also, since I won't be gigging, I'd like to connect my guitar to my computer, and use effects like amplitube, and stuff in garageband or logic. I'm running an ibook G4 1.2 ghz, with 1.25 gigs of ram. Any suggestions on software for the effets/amp simulator?

Speakers/Monitors? I'm really lost here, no Idea what to get. Right now I have the Bose Companion speakers with the 2 speakers. I also have the Bose Companion with the 3 speakers (two small speakers, and sub). Would one of these be fine, or should I look into nicer monitors? Will I lose any quality by buying monitors.

Other than the guitar and speakers. What else do I need to get this running? I have an griffin imic, and I believe I can connect my guitar to this and that's all I need? Will their be any latency issues?

Thanks
John

I can't give you any hints on recording directly to a computer, since I mic real amps when I record, but I've heard really good things about the SansAmp pedals.

As far as the Squier '51's go...I have 2 of them, and I think they're great. They're a tad bright, but I've seen folks put in concentric pots to add a tone control to them. I've not done it to mine, but I'm seriously considering it.

Back