American strat vs Mexican strat

DropD

I was browsing through Fender's website, I noticed that an American Strat is more than twice the price of a Mexican Strat. What is the difference between two? I can understand that the American model is probably better built, but we're talking 1500$ vs 650$ here (for a Deluxe Fat Strat). Is the Mexican strat an American Strat at a bargain, or is the American Strat really worth such an expense?

Better pickups, better tuners, better frets, better fret job, better wood, better paint job, better bridge, better elctronics, better assembly, better case, better resale value, better get the American Strat!

foo

[This message has been edited by foo (edited 01-02-2000).]

I have to agree and disagree with foo. Yeah the American Strat has better wood and so on but if the Mexican Strat is in your budget go for it. I have one and I'm really happy with it.

DropD, you can make a big difference by changing the electronics. This is one thing I've found that make cheap guitars sound thin. I can't say as though it will sound like an American strat, but it will sound a hell of a lot better than it does stock. I've been recording with some real cheap guitars lately ($300 Canadian), and I must say.. their pretty damn good. Guitars have improved over the years. The latest one I'm using is a Jay Terser, check them out if you see one anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 01-03-2000).]

DropD - - To answer your question "is it worth the expense"?

I think it damn well is - but I wouldn't pay $1500 for a Deluxe Fat Strat I'd pay $550 for a new American Strat (that's what I paid)

Shop around - if you can afford it the American is a great guitar.

The difference is going to be day and night. You can feel it and hear it instantly.

The American Strat isn't really an expensive guitar (as guitars go), so there's little reason to purchase a Mexican strat unless you don't have a guitar at all. BTW, the American strat is a pawn shop dream. Since they typically run around $900 new (here), you can usually find em in decent shape at a pawn shop for half that.

Slackmaster

Lord: I forgot to tell you, I live in Canada, the lowest street price I could find for an american Strat is 999$CA, not 550$ :)

I really don't care about the look, what interest me is the sound. If I change the bridge pickup (the one I use 97,4% of the time), can I get the same sound as an American Strat on a mexican strat?

If the budget is a real concern (and when isn't it, I guess) try to find a Tokai Strat copy from the early eighties and install Seymour Duncan Vintage replacement pickups on it.

I'm with his Slackness on this - do the pawn shop thing - you'll be amazed at what you can find.
foo

I've got a Squire strat (around $300) that is pretty decent. I'd play it more except my Ibanez Artist kicks major ass! My point is, throw several Mex strats into a pile and most of them will be less-than-worthy but a few of them will be excellant guitars for the price. I put an EMG select in mine and I think it's just peachy.
Also, one of the best tones I've ever heard came from a Hondo, which was a very cheap brand.

Well, I would say get the Mexican if you must have a Fender. All fenders (with the exceptions of the JAPS) are made in Mexico anyway. For a guitar to be considered "American" it just has to be 60% ASSEMBLED in the USA. They are made in teh same factory. It takes a while, but you can usually find a Mexican Strat that is really nice, they are made on most of the same machines as the Americans anyway. The real differences are the hardware and the neck treatment.
But my real question is do you want a REAL Fender? Cause G&L is the only company that makes 'em. Get a basic S-500 for a little more than a good mexican and a lot less than the FAT Strat. It will blow any fender that is not custom shop away. Guarenteed. Plus they have locking tuners, and phase reversal switch. The S-500 is Leo's final definition of what the strat should be.

MIKE

I am prolly gonna get dogged on this one. I know that everyone swears by their killer guitar or has the dream gem hanging in the shop they are dying for. But heres the ol Even point... find a guitar you like to play. Weather it cost you the family inheritance or was a swap shop special. If the feel is good and plays easy nab it. The more I get involved with gadgets gizmos and effects, I find I get the sounds I want from the outside stuff. I am happy with my "lower end" guitars as far as playability goes. Granted I suppose if I had a Paul Reed Smith I would swear by it and never go back. But as it stands I like how each of my guitars plays.

Stop right there. In a perfect world you get what you pay for. But in the real world it isn't always so.
Go to a store and play an American, play a Mexican, play a Korean, etc. I've played some really awesome (feeling) mexican fenders and turned right around and picked up an American that felt like the frets had not even been smoothed down on the edges.
As far as materials, I dunno, but you CAN get really good cheap guitars and really shitty expensive ones. The only way to really know is to play them.

That is true. I recently bought a Yamaha Pacifica 120S because I liked the look. I paid 250$CA for it!! And it actually sounds very good. It's made in Alder, like an american strat. I love it.

I have a Mexican Strat and to tell you the truth, it sounds EXACTLY like the American Strats I've played! Maybe I got a little lucky, because it also sounds better than any other Mexican strat I've played too...

The only thing I wish it had way a Floyd Rose trem. The standard sucks ass!

For around $1500, you can buy a good late '70's ( a.k.a vintage ) strat and you will be getting a better sounding and better built guitar than most new instruments. However, guitars in this catagory are usauly not the prettiest in the world. Yet they have a character and feel not possible with most new cookie- cutter guitars. Make sure the pickups are original and correct- they are the heart of ANY vintage strat or tele. Yes, the new Fenders are shiny,you have a choice of cool colors, and can sound o.k. to a degree, but to truely enjoy the strat experience---------it needs to be an old strat.
P.S. You can still find '82 and '83 Squires
for about $200-$350. These "strats" were made from left over '70's bodies and necks. The pickups are not as good, but they have the wieght and "feel" of the an old strat.

I've had a '91 USA Strat since that year, and it's still going strong. The frets are getting hammared pretty good, but I'm a blues player and I bend a lot.

The one thing about this instrument with which I'm always impressed is the build quality. The fit and finish are excellent, and I have no doubts about its long-time playability. Within the next five years, I'll probably get it refretted, and within the next year I'll upgrade to Blue Series Lace Sensors. After that, it should last me the rest of my life. I doubt a Mexi Strat is that kinda lifer, especially if you play for, say, an hour or more a day. Go with a good ol' American Standard.

SCREW FENDER (CBS) BUY A G&L!!!!!!!!!!

G&L guitars are GOD! And they are reasonably priced for the wares. I would say that they are closer to a vintage strat than any american standard made since about 70'. And they play better.

Viking_______________________________________

Viking,

Man, I can't agree with you more here. I have a G&L S 500. Tell you what, it sounds better than most any other Strat I have ever heard. I used to have a Custom Shop Strat that was in this league, but it cost a hell of a lot more.

My G&L is a selling point in my studio. Clients hear that guitar and cream right there in front of me in their pants. I usually have to clean up after they have drooled all over the damn thing.

DropD, don't kid yourself here. I can give a rat's ass about what anyone says about their wannabe guitars, the American Strat is a very superior instrument. The Mexican made models do not use any of the same high quality components. They have less than half the hand detail work that goes into the American model. You would be nothing but disappointed if you bought a Mexican model, played it for a while, then plugged in a American model.

"Buy cheap buy twice", that is what a owner of a big sound company I used to work for used to say about equipment. You can of course maximize the use of cheap equipment, but in the end, it falls short of the dependable, great quality of better gear.

A guitar is a personal thing. The difference here is like developing a relationship with a loser chick who has no morals and is lazy, as opposed to developing one with a chick that has strong morals and works hard. You can develope a relationship with one, the other is something to bang for awhile. Take care to note what you expect out of an instrument my friend. A cheaper one seldomly produces what you seek. Unless of course crappy sound is what floats your boat.

Ed

Back