Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: American strat vs Mexican strat

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, I would say get the Mexican if you must have a Fender. All fenders (with the exceptions of the JAPS) are made in Mexico anyway. For a guitar to be considered "American" it just has to be 60% ASSEMBLED in the USA. They are made in teh same factory. It takes a while, but you can usually find a Mexican Strat that is really nice, they are made on most of the same machines as the Americans anyway. The real differences are the hardware and the neck treatment.
    But my real question is do you want a REAL Fender? Cause G&L is the only company that makes 'em. Get a basic S-500 for a little more than a good mexican and a lot less than the FAT Strat. It will blow any fender that is not custom shop away. Guarenteed. Plus they have locking tuners, and phase reversal switch. The S-500 is Leo's final definition of what the strat should be.

MIKE

Thanks

Wink

I am prolly gonna get dogged on this one. I know that everyone swears by their killer guitar or has the dream gem hanging in the shop they are dying for. But heres the ol Even point... find a guitar you like to play. Weather it cost you the family inheritance or was a swap shop special. If the feel is good and plays easy nab it. The more I get involved with gadgets gizmos and effects, I find I get the sounds I want from the outside stuff. I am happy with my "lower end" guitars as far as playability goes. Granted I suppose if I had a Paul Reed Smith I would swear by it and never go back. But as it stands I like how each of my guitars plays.

Thanks

Exclamation

Stop right there. In a perfect world you get what you pay for. But in the real world it isn't always so.
    Go to a store and play an American, play a Mexican, play a Korean, etc. I've played some really awesome (feeling) mexican fenders and turned right around and picked up an American that felt like the frets had not even been smoothed down on the edges.
    As far as materials, I dunno, but you CAN get really good cheap guitars and really shitty expensive ones. The only way to really know is to play them.

Thanks

Wink

That is true. I recently bought a Yamaha Pacifica 120S because I liked the look. I paid 250$CA for it!! And it actually sounds very good. It's made in Alder, like an american strat. I love it.

Thanks

Wink

Buy a Gibson.

I picked up a Blueshawk a few years ago for a little under $500 U.S. and I have yet to be let down in the tone department.

Thanks

Wink

I have a Mexican Strat and to tell you the truth, it sounds EXACTLY like the American Strats I've played! Maybe I got a little lucky, because it also sounds better than any other Mexican strat I've played too...

The only thing I wish it had way a Floyd Rose trem. The standard sucks ass!

Thanks

Exclamation

For around $1500, you can buy a good late '70's ( a.k.a vintage ) strat and you will be getting a better sounding and better built guitar than most new instruments. However, guitars in this catagory are usauly not the prettiest in the world. Yet they have a character and feel not possible with most new cookie- cutter guitars. Make sure the pickups are original and correct- they are the heart of ANY vintage strat or tele. Yes, the new Fenders are shiny,you have a choice of cool colors, and can sound o.k. to a degree, but to truely enjoy the strat experience---------it needs to be an old strat.
    P.S. You can still find '82 and '83 Squires
    for about $200-$350. These "strats" were made from left over '70's bodies and necks. The pickups are not as good, but they have the wieght and "feel" of the an old strat.

Thanks

I've had a '91 USA Strat since that year, and it's still going strong. The frets are getting hammared pretty good, but I'm a blues player and I bend a lot.

The one thing about this instrument with which I'm always impressed is the build quality. The fit and finish are excellent, and I have no doubts about its long-time playability. Within the next five years, I'll probably get it refretted, and within the next year I'll upgrade to Blue Series Lace Sensors. After that, it should last me the rest of my life. I doubt a Mexi Strat is that kinda lifer, especially if you play for, say, an hour or more a day. Go with a good ol' American Standard.

Thanks

Cool

SCREW FENDER (CBS) BUY A G&L!!!!!!!!!!

G&L guitars are GOD! And they are reasonably priced for the wares. I would say that they are closer to a vintage strat than any american standard made since about 70'. And they play better.

Viking_______________________________________

Thanks

Did you know...

Straight question / Straight answer.... is the American Strat better? YES.

But... did you know, that the Fender factory in the US is only 30 miles
    from the factory located in mexico?

The materials made in both guitars are pretty much the same now.

All the materials for both factories comes from the same place
    and they share them.

The only reason there is a mexican strat in the first place is price point.

In other words... if you can pay a mexican worker $6.00 an hour to build the same guitar as an American who works for $30.00 an hour, you would rather
    only pay $6.00 an hour and make a bigger profit right?

The problem Fender had when considering this move was that Fender guitars are considered an "American staple".

If ALL Fenders were made in Mexico, they would go out of business because their reputation would crumble immediately.

So... what they decided to do was raise the price of the American Strat a bit and then offer a Mexican strat at cheaper price point.

They only had to downgrade the electronics a bit in the Mexican strat and hire a few less quality control people there to justify the difference in
    the price.

The craftmanship of the Mexican Strat MAY be slightly less quality than the American Strat, but the only real major difference (ever since the two factories have moved closer together and share materials) is the
    electronics.

To begin with, change out the electronics and you will have a decent Strat.

In all honesty... the American factory will always recieve the best quality
    materials. The necks and bodies are seperated in the warehouse by "first quality" and "second quality". 1st goes to the American Strats and the 2nds go to the Mexican factory.

Also... the quality control guys and the finish work in the American
    factory will do a better job most of the time.

But, if this suggestion makes you nervous, spend the extra money for the American Strat. you can't go wrong. It only cost a little more to go
    first class in this world.

If you opt for the Mexican, do the following "upgrades" as desired (and as you can afford them) in the following order:

1. Change all of the electronic componants (not just the pickups)
    2. Chance the tuners
    3. Change the bridge (only if you don't like the one that came with it)
    4. Get a really good fret job
    5. Buy a better case for your new and improved strat

At the end of the day, you may spend slightly more by upgrading the
    Mexican Strat than if you were to just buy the American Strat in the
    first place. But it's sort of like a payment plan. You can pay for the
    improvements as you are able to afford them.

Bottom line... if you have the money for the American and you want a
    good guitar for a lifetime, buy the American Strat.

Thread Information