for all you pedal users............

jojomellon said:
What in the world is that moog pedal?

MuRF-105
jojomellon said:
Whats it sound like?
They say:
MuRF stands for "Multiple Resonance Filter Array". What this means is the MuRF has 8 filters - their levels are controlled by 8 sliders. It looks like a graphic eq, but the sound of the filters are very different: warm and resonant.

What is really unique is the ability to animate the levels of the 8 filters in up to 24 preset patterns. The rate of the patterns can be set by a knob, expression pedal, or plug a footswitch into the tap tempo input to match the rate to the tempo of your song. Rhythmic variations can be created by adjusting the levels of the filters. The Envelope control sets the shape of the modulation, which can be set for percolating techno rhythmic modulation or shimmering timbral morphing.

I say:
ts a weird ganged filter array. The effect is a series of timed 'pings' sweepimg up and down the spectum defined by the sliders. The 'pings' are enveloped which changes the attack.

Multi FX processors are better for demos, and often for live because you can save settings. Live, you have to turn the knobs on EACH stompbox to get it the way you want, an dcan be a hassle.

However, for creativity reasons, stompboxes are usually better becuase you have much more control over the signal chain, and what order the effects go in.

I have a POD 2.0, and it's the best damn thing for demoing. You can qu8ickyl dial up a sound, an deffect, a particular type of distortion, and record without need to mic anything. Simple. But not creative, because you have no internal control for the signal path. It is, indeed, a pod that cannot be opened to slit a signal or reverb before distortion, or things like that.

If you're looking to make strange, never-heard before sounds, stompboxes for felxibility. If you're looking to do live covers and need a wide variety of effects low cost, and without much screwing around, use Multi-FX pedals.

Or both.

Or build your own stompboxes.

jfrog said:
I've happily used my old ART SGX 2000 mulit fx processor for many years, but occasionally think that pedals would be easier. It's the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome.

SWEET!!!...I love my SGX2000 EXPRESS...i thought i was the only one still using this thing! Although i use my metal zone pedal over the distortion in the SGX.

Markaholic said:
SWEET!!!...I love my SGX2000 EXPRESS...i thought i was the only one still using this thing! Although i use my metal zone pedal over the distortion in the SGX.

Well, you obviously know about fx. I can only assume you're a great guitarist, too. :p

Do you have the program that was written a few years back by a guy named Glenn Thomas for backing up your patches?

Markaholic said:
never heard of it...is there a spot on the net that still has it?

It's still there. He just updated it last June, it looks like.

http://gt1.info/art/sgx2000/

Main page:

http://gt1.info/art/

He's really got it dialed in through the years...you can edit your patches on the computer & download to your SGX. The best feature is that it let's you back up your unit...no more writing down patch settings on paper.

FALKEN said:
the more things a piece of equipment can do, the less well it does each thing.

Oh so true.

It's got to be pedals for me. First of all, how often does a Boss pedal become become obsolete? I still have my OD-2 Turbo Overdrive that I got when I was like 13, and it still sounds great. It is a bit beat up, but a good pedal can be kicked back and forth across the stage a couple thousand times, and still work. Try that with a multi-effects unit.

And don't even get me started on chorus. I have a TC Electronic SCF chorus pedal. It is an analog pedal which is quieter than any 16 bit digital gear anywhere, and it sounds better. Sure, it cost me $300, but I will have it for the rest of my life. Try saying that about a multi-effects unit. I mean, how many of you are still using an SPX-90?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I used to on a Boss GT 3 multi-effects processor. The effects were pretty good except for distortions/overdrives. It's ok if you want a subtle drive but as soon as you drive it too much it becomes all fuzzy and 'windy'... Anyhow... sold it for 200$ and switched over to stompboxes. Bought some Boss, Mxr, even started building clones! I would go all the way with stompboxes...

I used to on a Boss GT 3 multi-effects processor. The effects were pretty good except for distortions/overdrives. It's ok if you want a subtle drive but as soon as you drive it too much it becomes all fuzzy and 'windy'... Anyhow... sold it for 200$ and switched over to stompboxes. Bought some Boss, Mxr, even started building clones! I would go all the way with stompboxes...

7 year old thread......

Personally i WAS a stomp box guy until about 3 months ago. I was at GC and i was playing around with a boss gt-100 i have since put all of my stomp boxes back in the cupboard and play strictly with it. granted i just play at home and dabble in recording but it is WAY easier this way and i have total control over the signal chain.

Back