Thread: Active Electronics & preamps

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    A buddy on mine was talking about his Bass amp the other day. He said it has 2 inputs, 1 for passive and 1 for active electronics. So, is there a difference in the preamps that work better for active, and would putting active electronics into a preamp like the ART tube MP cause a problem? thanks y'all RHOADZ

Thanks

Wink

As far as I know, the only difference will be in the amount of gain the preamp gives. I don't think you will have a problem with the Art preamp. I have an acoustic amp that has a switch for passive or active electronics. I prefer to keep it switched to passive even when I'm using active for the extra gain.

Thanks

Thumbs up

I don't know if your question is specifically about bass, but I have EMG SA's (active single coils) in my guitar and do something similar to what you're talking about. I run my guitar into an effects processor, then into a Tube MP, and then into the effects return on my amp. This completely bypasses the preamp in the amp, but I do all my effects from the pedal anyway. My amp is solid state and this gives me a better sound when I record than the amp does by itself.

Actually, my amp also has 2 inputs and it works jsut like Cliff said. The one for active pickups just lowers the gain.

Thanks

Wink

the info is much appreciated

I was kinda worried about messing up my eq or my friend's bass. If it sounds like shite, at least we'll know it's our own damn fault.

Thread Information