Acoustic Simulators...Boss AC-2 vs. Zoom 504

HarmonicSqueal

Any opinions? Granted, neither is going to sound like a Taylor or a Gibson, but I like the idea of being able to switch from an acoustic rhythm to an electric lead. I'm leaning towards the Boss simply because it has a metal casing. I play solely in a church worship team, so I don't have to deal with beer, dirt, roadies or vomit, but I'd still prefer not to be afraid of breaking it every time I step on it. My set up would basically be either a Les Paul or a Strat AB'd to the simulator for the acoustic tone & a rack for the leads.

Hey man,

I have the Boss VF-1 processor that has the acoustic simulator. I'm goin to assume thats its alot like the AC-2. Anyway I've done some recording with it and it sounds great. I dont know how it will work with the Les Paul ,but with my strat it sounds best with the single coil closest to the neck and the treble all the way up.

For what it's worth:
I'm a former Zoom 505 owner. I don't expect to EVER buy a Zoom product again. Not only did the pedal completely steal 100% of my tone's sensitivity (It's hard to explain, but I felt like I could only get one volume out of the pedal, regardless of whether I was trying to play a fluid lead line or be Pete Townshend Power Chord Man. It just all sounded the same.), but the hiss it added (Think CCCCCCKKCKCKKSSSHHSHHSHHHH ugly-type noises that completely drown out your tone) made the pedal completely useless for live performing. I only ended up attempting to perform with it twice - and you would think the situation I was in would be enough to drown out the hiss. I was playing guitar in a 20 member jazz band - I rarely needed to solo, so most of the time my volume level was under the horns - and we were playing in my school's basketball arena. The hiss was STILL audible. It's that bad. So caveat emptor!

the Boss pedal hisses too - I've got to play with it a bit more, but I'd definately can't use my wah pedal in a chain with it. I'm getting a decent tone, but it's not really acoustic - more like a clean fender strat or something (coming from a Les Paul, that's not too bad)

Back