acoustic buzz fretting

Emperor !!!

I bought a Washburn WD32S acoustic guitar and change the strings with a medium gauge set, if I want to go back to the light gauge strings, it came with a light gauge set,

would I get buzz fretting??

If it didn't buzz with the light gauge set on when you bought it and you haven't made any changes to the set-up since then it shouldn't buzz when you put a set back on.

If it does buzz it could be the neck relief that is the cause of the problem. Buzzing up to the fifth fret will be caused by the neck being too flat or possibly convex. Buzzing above the 7th fret will be caused by the neck being too concave.

If the guitar has been set-up for heavier strings then putting lighter ones on could result in the neck becoming too flat.

A minor truss rod adjustment should sort it out. I adjust in 1/8th of a turn increments checking the neck relief after each turn. Never do more than a 1/2 turn in one day (to give the wood a chance to cope with the changing forces being exerted on it). If your truss rod needs that much adjustment your guitar is not in particularly good condition or you're turning it the wrong way.

Pete.

Try it. If it buzzes, take it to a competent repair shop and have it setup. If it doesn't buzz, you should still take it in to get setup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back