5 string bass question...

If you still have the original strings on the bass, I'd make a new set top priority. The Rogue instruments I've played seemed to all have rough, dead strings, even when new. Plus who knows how long it sat in a warehouse before somebody bought it.

OOOOOOOo...
That's Great advice!!! I'll get on that right away!!
... Look, when i've got enough extra money lying around to where I feel that I can afford to just buy extra high end basses to have lying around whenever I please, we'll talk. But for now I gotta work with what I have...
Good advice though, really :rolleyes:

I know we all have to start somewhere, before I bought the BTB, I had the cheapest 5 String in the Yamaha range, can't remember the model number, but I got very good results with it and did a number of albums and tours with it. I bought the cheap one because I did not know if 5 string was for me. I sold it very cheap and the guy that bought it was also very happy with it. Look around for a second hand cheap one, sell your bass and the money difference may not be that much.

I do understand budgets, all the best.

Cheers
Alan

Asshole Alert!! Nothing to see here! Move along.
cop.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not trying to be a turd here. I'm broke and fully understand working with what God provides. But Rogues (the Brand, not the Alembic Bass model) really do suck. I've never played a Rogue that was worth the hook it was hanging on. And its a shame, because they seem to have a helluva distribution system and it wouldn't take that much to make them playable and cheap. Rondomusic proves that. Sell that fucker and get a SX, a Squire, A Yamaha... hell, check out the new, beginner Flea basses. I'm not sure a Rogue can even be setup.(That's a lie. They can but...)

I think I'll just save up and buy a used one and keep the rogue. While the rogue may be cheap, it does have some sentimental value.

There are just some things I can't get rid of

I think I'll just save up and buy a used one and keep the rogue. While the rogue may be cheap, it does have some sentimental value.

There are just some things I can't get rid of
I hear ya'. And if you like it and a setup solves the problem, you should stay with it. Sometimes familiarity is worth more. And ignore that previous post, That's just bad memories floating to the top of the trash heap.:o

I hear ya'. And if you like it and a setup solves the problem, you should stay with it. Sometimes familiarity is worth more. And ignore that previous post, That's just bad memories floating to the top of the trash heap.:o

No worries dude. Honesty is good! and as crappy as it may be it's still my piece of crap so I still like it. I just couldn't get rid of it.
All the advice in this thread was very good whether or not I wanted to hear all of it or not, facts are facts.

Thank you :)

I find a 34" scale is insufficient to put enough tension on a B sting such that it will play nice with the other four, you may be more sensitive to this, could be something else. You could try mis-matching, eg. get a set of .100s, and using a .120 or .125 for the B.
Well, yes and no. There is a difference among basses of the same scale, and regarding that issue with the B string, although all the 34" scale basses I have owned had it to some degree, some were worse than others. I owned a couple of Ibanez basses that were particularly bad in that respect, to the point where I avoided playing the B string whenever I could. My 5 string Bongo is much better; a little technique adjustment on the B string smooths it out pretty well. On my Epic 5, the difference is very subtle, to the point where I hardly notice it.

Well, yes and no. There is a difference among basses of the same scale, and regarding that issue with the B string, although all the 34" scale basses I have owned had it to some degree, some were worse than others. I owned a couple of Ibanez basses that were particularly bad in that respect, to the point where I avoided playing the B string whenever I could. My 5 string Bongo is much better; a little technique adjustment on the B string smooths it out pretty well. On my Epic 5, the difference is very subtle, to the point where I hardly notice it.

Granted, but as you say, the effect is always there to a degree. OTOH, even the cheapest 35" scale basses have very strong B strings, a Modulus with a sweet spot pickup configuration plays like a keyboard.

Granted, but as you say, the effect is always there to a degree. OTOH, even the cheapest 35" scale basses have very strong B strings, a Modulus with a sweet spot pickup configuration plays like a keyboard.
I don't know about cheap 35" basses, but whatever makes a diff to you. Like I said, on my Bongo it's very slight and easily corrected for and on my Epic I really don't need to. It's not a big deal at all. I don't ever see myself affording a Modulus, anyway.

Update: I haven't changed strings yet but I achieved an improvement worthy of posting about.

After fiddling with the pickup heights and fiddling with the string heights, I've noticed an improvement in continuity (for lack of a better word) in the bass frequencies when changing from string to string. The low B still has a tad bit more bass than the E string but that's to be expected no matter what. So everything is as it should be in the bass region. One thing I have noticed is that while the bass frequencies are just as I want them, the E string has quite a bit more treble than the B string but I'm hoping that a string set change and using a smaller gauge B string compared to the E, A, D, and G strings will fix that.

Thanks for the help/advice guys!!

One thing I have noticed is that while the bass frequencies are just as I want them, the E string has quite a bit more treble than the B string but I'm hoping that a string set change and using a smaller gauge B string compared to the E, A, D, and G strings will fix that.

Thanks for the help/advice guys!!

Usually, a lighter gauge B string will just be more flabby because of the lower tension. I'd go with the heaviest B you can find.

But wouldn't that make the issue of the rest of the strings having more highs worse? :confused:
Not necessarily. If you take a given string tuned to a given pitch and start loosening the tuning peg, as the pitch drops so will the relative high frequency content. There are a couple of competing mechanisms in play here, and I think tension wins. The heavier the string gauge, the higher the tension for a given scale length and pitch.

Also, when strings get old, they lose their high frequency response; old strings may be most of your problem

I find a 34" scale is insufficient to put enough tension on a B sting such that it will play nice with the other four, you may be more sensitive to this, could be something else. You could try mis-matching, eg. get a set of .100s, and using a .120 or .125 for the B.
^^^^ this ^^^^

Usually, a lighter gauge B string will just be more flabby because of the lower tension. I'd go with the heaviest B you can find.

^^^^ and this ^^^^

I way prefer 35" scale for a 5 string.

TBO I've always hated heavy guage B strings. I find the lighter guages to be more focused in tone. It was mentioned earlier in the thread but worth repeating: playing closer to the bridge can help control the b string

FWIW, last night I restrung my Epic 5 with Rotosound "66" Swing Bass strings with a .130 B for the first time, and now the B sounds and feels just like the other 4 strings. The effect that sparked this thread is, for me, on this particular 34" scale bass, totally gone. YMMV, of course, but I'm a happy camper.

Back