16 - 24 bit question.

66BobbyQ

I have a Focusrite 2i2 interface and a Mackie Profx8 Mixer. I have my mics and amps plugged into the mixer and have the two XLR outs on the mixer going into the Focusrite. I use Cubase as my DAW. The Mixer is 16 bit and The Focusrite is 24 bit. I don't know if this is the best solution seeing that they have different bit rates. I initially purchased the Focusrite but got frustrated with always plugging/unplugging gear so I bought the mixer as a supplement. I like this setup but would have bought an interface with more input had I known ahead of time that I would become addicted to this whole music making process.

So my question is, Am I not getting the best out of my audio quality because my main input is 16bit and I'm then sending it through a 24bit interface? Is this bassackward? Any good web info out there, I could reference would be great! Thanks!

The XLR connections are all analog and should not affect the bitrate at all. It sounds like maybe the effects processor is 16bit. If you don't use the onboard effects, it shouldn't matter in the least.

But are you just taking a stereo ANALOG mix from the mixer into the Focusrite via those XLRs? I mean, there's no USB connection to the Mackie? If not, then it being 16-bit doesn't mean anything, because it's probably just acting as an analog mixer (albeit with some DSP effects, but they don't change how the F'rite works).

Nevermind - I skipped right over [MENTION=57292]Chili[/MENTION]'s response!

Right. If not using the boards FX then forget about it.

I do wish to ask why you are using the board tho. Is this live recording where you need to have a mixing board?

Back