Yamaha WX5 ??

It's their latest WX series wind controller... there's been two others, if memory serves - the WX7 followed by the WX11. Some early users of the '11 were reporting some minor issues that they felt made the original WX7 a better instrument, but later Yamaha apparently addressed this. I've only used the '7, and not the newer models. I'd like to get a new one though... IMO, the Yamaha wind controllers are probably the best ones ever built - although the Akai stuff had a pretty good following for a while too. I don't think they make the Akai's anymore though. Yamaha should be commended for still making wind controllers - does anyone else even offer them anymore? Anyway, there's a lot of good things about the Yamaha controllers. The fingering can be set in various different ways (I prefer std sax fingerings, although others may prefer recorder type fingerings). And you can go with a reed type (pressure sensitive) mouthpeice or a non-reed type (less control, but easier for people who are not used to reed embosure to deal with).

Phil O'Keefe
Sound Sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
http://www.ssrstudio.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Sounds great

Phil: Thanks for the info. A couple of other curio questions, even though your reply almost surely means I'll have one in due course.

I do, indeed blow a tenor; will vibrato and other moldings accrue? Do you know if one is using soundfonts from , say, GigaStudio, can you hear these sounds as you play the WX5? I'm just in the process of setting up an RYO DAW; by the time I can record, I may find that heart problems prevent me from getting enough air to play the tenor. Can I presume that the WX5 does not require as much "air" as a sax? I can do vibes but MIDI input for section work would be great.

PS I was interested to see you Riverside address. I had my first faculty post in mathematics at Cal Riverside in 1959. Am now "retarded" from Clemson U.

BH
Clemson, SC

Re: Sounds great

Originally posted by BobHaymond
Phil: Thanks for the info. A couple of other curio questions, even though your reply almost surely means I'll have one in due course.

I do, indeed blow a tenor; will vibrato and other moldings accrue?

Yes, you can perform natural sax vibrato with the WX series controllers.

Do you know if one is using soundfonts from , say, GigaStudio, can you hear these sounds as you play the WX5?

You can control just about any MIDI sound generator with a WX controller - some will perform better than others - mostly depending on how well the sound is optimized for use with a wind controller... I've never tried one with GigaStudio, so can't make a definitive comment on that - sorry!

I'm just in the process of setting up an RYO DAW; by the time I can record, I may find that heart problems prevent me from getting enough air to play the tenor. Can I presume that the WX5 does not require as much "air" as a sax? I can do vibes but MIDI input for section work would be great.

Sorry to hear about your health problems... Yes, a WX requires a LOT less air than a tenor, and a MIDI wind controller beats the heck out of any other controller type (keyboard, gtr synth, etc) I've ever tried when it comes to doing realistic horn parts - ever try swell on a keyboard? IMO, the biggest issue is getting a good SAX sound - most sampled saxophone sounds suck... in some ways, modelling synths seem to do better, and something like Giga may be ideal, since you can layer huge samples, and lots of 'em. I just miss the lack of tonal variables available from a real sax - from soft and breathy to growl and roar in an instant... but as far as controlling a synth or sampler, I don't think the Yamaha controllers can be beat!

PS I was interested to see you Riverside address. I had my first faculty post in mathematics at Cal Riverside in 1959. Am now "retarded" from Clemson U.

BH
Clemson, SC

BTW, Riverside's still smoggy... you are probably are better off living somewhere else with your med condition. Hope things get better for you... Good luck with the WX.

Phil O'Keefe
Sound sanctuary Recording
Riverside CA
http://www.ssrstudio.com
pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

My WX5 has a mind of it's own. In the middle of jamming, it would play random notes and it keeps on doing that until I turn the sound module off. When it happens I have to mess around with a screw driver. I don't play this instrument very often. I bought a few years ago and I recently decided to try it out and found out about this problem.

If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

-Willie

4ever: Sounds like something is wrong with it, but the very first thing you should do is set it up using Bob Norton's tips.

BobHaymond: I've had a WX-5/vl70-m for five years and love it.
Yes you can use soft synths and samplers. I use Garritan Jazz&BigBand all the time.
The samplers that are set up to use breath control will work better than those that dont.

Back