Yamaha MSP5 Powered Monitor - Opinions?

Phreesoal

I'm needing a pair of inexpensive monitors shortly and have been looking at the new Yamaha MSP5 Bi-Amped Powered monitor. Since I don't know much about determining good & bad monitors nor understand their specs, I'm seeking feedback from anyone here.

I would be using it to monitor my DJ sets at home and for home-based recording. Since I just purchased a new Yamaha MG12/4 mixer, I looked to this company again for a monitor solution. I have always liked Yamaha products.

A pair of MSP5s are going for $500 street price. Yamaha also has a smaller model called the MSP3, going for $300 street price.

I've read 2 online reviews of both monitors, but want to ask if anyone on this forum currently use either? I'm looking more at the MSP5 but would love to hear opinions on both models.

MSP5 Specs:

Picture
Yamaha MSP5 Site
  • The MSP5 provides the perfect choice for a wide range of applications, from home recording to post production.
  • Ultra-Compact, Quick and Easy Hookup
    Ultra-compact enclosures allow easy placement. Small face print makes them very accurate for "point source" listening. Hookup is quick and easy with both XLR and Õ in. phone jacks available. 67 combined watts of audio power in a bi-amplified monitor this size, let alone near this price, was previously unheard of -- until now. Upgrading to studio level monitoring has never been easier.
  • Custom Designed 5 in. Woofer and 1 in. Titanium Tweeter
    Titanium offers excellent response, separation and durability. The MSP5's dome tweeter, surrounded by a waveguide horn offers a broad coverage area of 120 degrees.
  • Built-In Bi-Amplification
    With 2 separate amplifiers powering the woofer and tweeter, incredibly lower distortion is realized. A total of 67 watts, 40 to the woofer and 27 to the tweeter, generates a much larger sound field than would normally be expected from a system of this size.
  • Great for Mastering
    Flat frequency response out to 40kHz makes the MSP5 great for mastering, where high sample and bit rates are the norm.
  • Waveguide Technology
    The smooth circular horn surrounding the tweeter delivers uniform dispersion without distortion or coloration.
  • Magnetic Shielding, Compact Enclosures
    Complete magnetic shielding and compact size permits easy placement near all types of audio, video and computer equipment.
  • Versatile Equalization Control
    The MSP5's 4 position EQ switch for low frequency and 3-position switch for high frequency match the system's response to the acoustic environment.
  • Technical Description

General Type: Biamp. 2-way, bass-reflex powered speaker
    General Crossover Frequency: 2.5kHz
    General Overall Frequency Response: 50 Hz ~ 40kHz
    Dimensions (W X H X D): 169mm x 279mm x 222mm (6 5/8 in. x 11 in. x 8Ó in.)
    Weight: 7.5kg (16.5 lbs)
  • Speaker Components:
    LF: 12cm (4 2/7 in.) cone (4 ohms)
    HF: 2.5cm (1 in.) titanium dome (6 ohms)
  • Speaker Enclosure: Bass reflex type, magnetic shielding construction
  • Amplifier Output Power:
    LF: 40W at 400Hz, THD=0.02%, RL=4 ohms
    HF: 27W at 10kHz, THD=0.02%, RL= 6 ohms
  • Amplifier Input Sensitivity/ Impedance:
    Line 1: +4dB/10k ohm/XLR
    Line 2: -10dB/10k ohm/Phone Jack
  • Amplifier S/N: Greater than or equal to 100dB (A weighted)
  • Amplifier Controls: TRIM switches: LOW: 4 position (+1.5dB, 0dB, -1.5dB, -3.0dB at 60Hz); HIGH: 3 position (+1.5dB, 0dB, -1.5dB, at 15kHz); Power switch: On/Off; Level Control
  • Amplifier Power Indicator: Green LED; Amplifier Power Requirement: 120v 60Hz; Amplifier Power Consumption: 60W

You can read the MSP3 monitor specs here.

I thank everyone in advance for input on this!

Phree

I personally didn't care for the Yamahas (either the 5's or the 10's)... but that doesn't mean anything.... it's YOU that needs to listen to them and decide if YOU like 'em....

You hear with your ears, not other people's opinions!

Hey I have the MSP5 and love them! :)

They are kinda weak on the low end and may not be suitable for dance, rap or hiphop kinda music. And they do require some getting used to...

I'll choose the MSP5 over the MSP3 anyday. :)

I'm in the market for monitors in this price range as well, and after checking out pretty much all of 'em, I can say the MSP5s were my favorite.

At a Guitar Center recently, I was able to test out the MSP5s, Event TR5s, M-Audio BX5s, BX8s and Alesis MKIIs. I'm by no means an expert, but to my ears, the M-Audios sounded really boxey. The MKIIs had the most bass of all of 'em, but they sounded really muddy to me (and they're far too big for my mixing area). I actually thought the Events sounded almost identical to the M-Audios. When I listened to the Yamahas, I was surprised by how clear they were. They definitely lack bass response, but overall, they're the only ones I could see myself working with for any extended period of time without experiencing fatigue. Who knows, though...I'm sure everything will be different when they're in my apartment rather than in Guitar Center.

One thing worth noting, though, is that the main reason I haven't bought the MSP5s yet is that I really want to check out the powered Yorkvilles because everyone speaks so highly of them around here. They can be had for about $75 less than the Yamahas, I believe.

Thanks for the opinions!

I'll plan to take a trip to one of my Guitar Centers to hear the MSP5. Whatever speakers I get, I'll be using them to play primarily Jazz, NuJazz, Downtempo & House on dual CD players.

Thanks for mentioning the Yorkvilles Mike and I'll check those as well. The Yamaha is my top pick so far.

Leeking, anything in particular about the MSP5 that takes getting used to?

Phree

Back