Would my 60 watt power amp be a suitable volume for gig...

That isn't a power amp. It's a combo amp. The wattage is enough, but I would put it on a chair because your ankles don't have ears.

60 watts is fine...
do the chair thing...
if you really like the sound you could use it to power a cabinet (2x12, 4x10, 4x12) and get more volume out of it,,
im not sure how that works but it worked for me..

gl

It depends on the size of the gig/room and how many other players are going to be involved. For a band of say 2-4 players in a small pub you should be ok...

Okay, thanks. The band consists of 4 of us. Drummer, Bassist and two guitarists. And the rooms wouldn't be any bigger than 20mx20m i guess.

Also, I figured it was a power amp as it has a knob that says 'Power' and the levels 0%-100% so figured it was a power amp but i stand corrected - So what exactly is a 'Combo' amp?

PS. I'll definately try the chair thing.

Thanks for all your help.

A combo amp is an amplifier with a built in speaker all in one box. This is different than an amp head, which is just an amp and needs a separate speaker cabinet to plug in to.

A power amp is normally something used with PA systems.

Well if your not using a PA system it might work if your drummer don't pound the shit out of his kit, I knew a guitarist that had one but the drummer would drown his ass out. Now if you got a PA system just about any size would work if you have monitor wedges that way you'll be able to hear yourself loud and clear .I've even seen a lot of youngsters use just a POD with no amp. :eek:

i play drums, and 60 watts isnt usually enough to cover me without PA help unless its a quality tube amp cranked pretty loud. but, i must say that i do whack my drums pretty hard and like lots of cymbal crashes. if your bassist and other guitar player has better equipment, you may be in trouble. hopefully, youll be mic'd through a PA.

If you're miced through a P.A, you'll be fine. If you're not it may be a bit difficult for the others to hear you depending on how loud their stuff is. But yeah definately elevate the amp higher.

I've played outdoor festivals with a 50 watt marshall half stack, with the drummer pounding away. I hate having my guitar in the monitors. I never had a problem hearing myself.

The problem is the speaker cabinet. If it is a 1x12 combo, you will need to get it off the floor. Your ears aren't on your ankles. You need coverage, not volume and power.

It should be enough for monitoring yourself, assuming the band is piped through the PA system.

As far as filling that room, that's open to debate. You'll be competing with the rest of the band, plus room noise/conversation (which could be substantial). It's possible you'd have to crank that little thing all the way up, and then it would probably not sound so good.

I'm a keyboardist and I use a keyboard amp that's 300 watts. I've never need to crank it over halfway up. So I'd say you might want an amp around 150 watts, to give yourself a little headroom.

I also carry around a little piece of 2x4 in my gig bag, which I use to tip the amp back. That aims it better for the ears, and also de-couples the amp from the floor a bit. There's not always room for a chair, and sometimes that doesn't look good from an audience perspective either. It just depends on the gig, although I have set my amp on chairs when I could.

I doubt you need 150 watts ...... for a keyboard player you really need that headroom ..... but a git player doesn't really want headroom .... you want the amp to break up.
I play an awful lot of live gigs and I'd say that 90% of the time my Mesa Blue Angel does just fine ... and it's only 38 watts. Things like a Vox AC30 ... a very desirable amp .... are only 30 watts.
You haven't mentioned the type of music which can make a big difference.
But for most gigs you should have enough . if not ... mic it.

Obstacle1 said:
it has a knob that says 'Power' and the levels 0%-100%

I picked up a Peavey catalog the other day, and it is now my understanding that the "power" control on the amp gives you selectable wattage. That is, you can turn down your 60 watt amp to 25%, and it only uses 15 watts of the power amp. Apparently this is some sort of built-in solid-state power brake (how that might help or do much with a solid-state amp is beyond me). If you turn that up to 100, you'll be getting your full 60 watts. To adjust your volume, I'd leave it on 100% and use the "post gain" control in conjunction with "pre gain" for overdrive/distortion.

Back