Wireless Headphones

Yeah. I use the JVC ones. They seem to work ok. Make sure you get the RF ones, not the infrared.

I've got Sennheiser T30's. Great for my application - recording away from the equipment (cordless *optical* mouse is extremely helpful too).
Only problem is they aren't sealed, so a bit of trouble if you're doing any close mic work, and they're cranked.

mike

Now come the dumb questions: what is the difference between RF and infrared? What do you mean by sealed and cranked? You need to understand that my current pair literally have duct tape holding the right earphone on the headstrap.

Yo Mojka:[which rhymes with polka but who plays those anymore?]

RF equates to radio frequency which means the JVC wireless cans will go through walls and the ones I have will pick up anything I play in my studio up to 300 feet away, outside of my condo.

Infared cans, I think, are line of sight cans. You need to stay close to the transmitter.

Although the JVC cans will blank out if you move around the kitchen, fridge, etc., they quickly come back on. I find them good to use when copying stuff in the studio and even monitoring a vocal track as being wireless means easy movement. However, I do NOT use them for mixing but I suppose it's possible.

Good advice to get the RF JVC cans if you want to walk around and twiddle the dials.

Green Hornet

:D :D :p :p :p

What I mean by cranked is that if I have the phones turned up too loud, and I'm working a vocal close to the mic, I can hear the playback audio from the headset through the mic.

Reason for this is that the cans are open (as opposed to sealed) and the audio will leak out to some degree.

And I don't use them for mixing either - just monitoring (and cutting the lawn...)

Cheers,
Mike

Yo Mike:

You're right. The open cans can give feedback with a sensitive mic and a good mic is sensitive.

The wireless cans are like a toy but it's great to sit outside with a cold Coor's and listen to the magic of my musical creations.

Green Hornet
Well, it's magic to me.:p :p :p :p

I recorded a drummer the other day, who loved them. Having no chord to get in the way helps. I use my Fostex T20's when I dont need the distance though.

I want to get a couple more of the JVC wireless, because you should be able to use just one base, no dist amp needed.

Is that true with the JVC, that you can have one transmitter and multiple headphones, thereby eliminating the need for a headphone amp?

Yo Russ with eight arms:

I don't think so. The JVC wireless cans have a transmitter that is plugged into the headphone out of my Yamaha integrated amp.

You might be able to buy two sets of cans and use one transmitter. I'm not sure but with double plugs and patches it probably can be done.

However, the transmitter needs a power link of some sort to generate sound.

Happy 4th of July.
Green Hornet:D :p :p :p :cool:

The Green Hornet said:
Yo Russ with eight arms:

I don't think so. The JVC wireless cans have a transmitter that is plugged into the headphone out of my Yamaha integrated amp.

You might be able to buy two sets of cans and use one transmitter. I'm not sure but with double plugs and patches it probably can be done.

However, the transmitter needs a power link of some sort to generate sound.

Happy 4th of July.
Green Hornet:D :p :p :p :cool:

Yep, you buy two sets, but just use the one transmitter. Ints not like the cans suck up the entire signal, its still being broadcast throught the room, so you can run as many off of the one transmitter as you like. or, you can use multiples, and run them at differant freq.(there is a thumbwheel adjustment.

Cordless keyboards, mice(mouses? whatever) headphones, are just something else I'll lose. I lost my friends laser mouse once, when they first came out, oops! Cost me a good 60 bucks. And of course he found it the next day, oh well. No cordless for me. I love the mics tho. Shure U series! and the earbuds, I'm not gonna lose a 2000 dollar microphone.... I hope

The wireless keyboard and mouse combo was one of the best things I ever bought. That way I can carry the keyboard in the vocal booth and start and stop the recording from there.

Oh, I can sing on key, I'm just not really that interesting of a singer. Luckily, I know people who are.

My JVCs sound pretty good when listening to a full mix but when listening to just one or two tracks it's fairly unuseable. They seem to need more signal. Get a bad ss ss noise like its losing contact with the base. Doesn't help to adjust the frequency. I was disappointed in them becaue I was hoping to use them while tracking to get away from the horrendous cord. They sound great for listening to a TV or stereo though. I only use them now to prevent my early demise, i. e. my wife killing me for loud TV at night.

I have a pretty good voice, I just have trouble hitting some of those highs. I'm learning tho. I think I have more of an announcing/voice over voice, not really a singing voice.

I was wondering: If you have wireless headphones, is there a latency problem associated with it?

(I'm a rapper) Let's say I start my beat, the signal go through the audio card, then to the transmitter, travels through air, the headphones play it, I rap, the signal from the mic returns to the audio card and then in the computer. Won't the vocals be offtime?

Thanks in advance,
Beathoven

Back