wireless headphones

euphoriasonic

Redline Recordings
i'm on a budget... like, under 100 bucks if possible. i found a pair of Sennheiser RS65 set for around $86 bucks, new (ebay). i'm looking to get a distance of about 300' feet with them. i just picked up the Sennheiser G2 112 P wireless lav kit, and love it. but i need my monitoring headphones to be wireless, as well. then i can set the traveler and laptop down somewhere, and walk away with the boom pole or other mic, completely wireless.

Any other suggestions? i looked at the Sony MDR wireless set for 99 bucks, but they didn't impress me... and i did find a JVC wireless headphone set HA-W300RFthat boasts 328' feet distance for 75 bucks on ebay... but i own a pair of Sennheiser HD280 phones, and like those. i was hoping to see maybe what you guys think? i'm pretty new to wireless stuff. check out my website, and let me know what you think, see what i'm running. all feedback is welcome :)
www.redlinerecordings.com

Euph, I'm sure you understand that wireless cans will have some background noise, especially if you're moving around and are some distance from the base. That said, the Senn rs-130 (open) and rs-140 (closed) are the best I've found. I have a pair of the 130s (paid $105 retail) and really like them for what they are--basically, a pair of Senn 580s without the cord but with the occasional added noise. I never use them in my studio, though. You can see my recent review (J. Hanson) of both models if you scroll down.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...19761-4804153?n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance

J.

I read your reviews, thank you. Hmm.... i was not under the impression i would get such horrible reception and the static or "sound cut-out" at distances too far from the transmitter. The Sennheiser RS85 still seems to be the best choice. Also, the JVC set states 328' feet of distance. I am most concerned with distance, so i can operate a mic boom from far away. i have the mic boom plugged into my Sennheiser G2 100 series UHF wireless transmission setup, going into my MOTU traveler and PowerBook. I was looking to return the headphone (monitor) signal of my recorded tracks via wireless headphones, although none seem to be able to make the distance as well as my UHF wireless kit. Would it be best to just get another G2 100 series kit, and just reverse the procedure, putting the transmitter at the computer and the reciever on me... while holding the boom transmitter as well, going to the receiver at the computer. I just don't have another 500 dollars for another wireless system :(

Has anyone tried the JVC 900Mhz set, that claims 328'? it retails for over 100, but can be purchased on ebay for around 75-85 dollars. I doubt however, that these headphones would be better than the Sennheiser RS85's. I also checked out the AKG 999 wireless setup, but it only states 50 m, which is only 150 feet, right? i am looking to match my Sennheiser wireless UHF G2 kit at 300' distance. Any further ideas or suggestions would be great! Thanks for all your guys help in advance.

As typical with music gear, those numbers don't mean much. The Senns that I reviewed have a stated range of 150 meters (400+ feet), more than the other cans you mentioned. I think you'll have to accept some background noise if you go wireless at this price range, especially if you move around while listening. The bigger question, IMO, is how do they sound musically?

J.

Last edited:
hmm... i'm confused. the 130's are cheaper than the RS85's, but have 150 m range, whereas the 85's have "approximately" a 100 m range. My main concern, is the audio not cutting out on me, as i will be using these to monitor the signal from the boom mic, which is being fed wirelessly to the computer. the phones will then wirelessly transmit back to me. I'm not too concerned with the static noise, as long as i can clearly hear the audio i'm picking up in the shotgun mic. i'm a little skeptical, at this point. i thought i would be able to find a pair of UHF or 2.4 Ghz headphones, that would have no problem reaching a 300' distance, to match my Sennheiser wireless UHF mic kit. if the 130's can do it, i'll surely pick up a pair. otherwise, i'm thinking i might have to grab another G2 100 series kit. which, i definately don't have the money for right now. Any extra music pleasure is a plus. i just need a pair of wireless phones to work up to 300' feet away, and not cut-out! Thanks for all your help! :)

Back