Will this work?

guitar zero

c = b#
I'd like to take a vocal track out through my converters and run it backwards through a passive DI box, into a delay pedal, back in the DI input in my pre-amp and back in. Can you run a signal backwards through a DI box an will it convert it from balanced line level to unbalanced instrument level? Anyone ever tried it?

I think I've read elsewhere here that it has been done, though I've not tried it myself.

But I can't help thinking that it is a long way of going about achieving a delay effect, which can be had more simply via a plug-in.

I think I've read elsewhere here that it has been done, though I've not tried it myself.

But I can't help thinking that it is a long way of going about achieving a delay effect, which can be had more simply via a plug-in.

Yeah, that's the problem. I can't get my ITB delay to sound right. Timing is off, and I know the pedal has pretty precise control over delay time and number of echoes. I probably should just break down and buy a good plug-in.
But still... I love thinking "outside the box".

If anyone is interested, I tried this last night and it worked perfectly. The key is attenuating the signal about 30 dB before it hits the backwards DI. But I ran some tracks through a delay pedal, and back in the DI of my preamp, and it sounds great. Very simple. Only required an xlr double female adapter. This would definitely work for re-amping as well.

Back