will i hear a big difference?

:( Home stereo eqpt is optimized to make what you play on it sound as good as possible, one really needs flat response monitors, and some type of mixer, and an amp to do this.

da MUTT

k thanks...i jus figured that since bose speakers are really good that it would be enough...guess not.

Yes, you will hear a difference.
Most home stereo speaker systems are engineered in such a way as to have an increased bass response. That's what the market wants, so thats what manufactures provide. Nothing wrong with that. And there are some damn nice sounding stereo speakers out there.

But what that means to you is that you are probably making adjustments in your mixing for that hyped low end from the stereo speaker. Then, when you play your recorded and mixed music back on a different stereo, it probably sounds "tinny" and slightly exagerated in the high end. In other words, your mixes sound fine in your "control room" but they don't translate well to other systems. A good audio monitoring system will have a relatively flat response curve.

dumass said:
k thanks...i jus figured that since bose speakers are really good that it would be enough...guess not.

bose speakers actually suck ass. and i bought two pairs!!! wtf was i thinking? they basically suck all the midrange out of em so that you hear a lot of lows and highs and make them sound more impressive initially. after a while that all wears off and you realize they suck. notice how they dont list the frequency range on them anywhere? its because there's variations of >+/-6dbs in the middle of its range! not to mention for this reason, it makes it almost impossible to mix ANYTHING acurately on them. about the worst choice for mixing on. and then all this direct/reflecting shit. it causes so many time smear problems its unbelievable. and it doesnt really work that well. i don't hear stereo, "everywhere" as they say. and from what i've heard, 301's (which I have) are the best speakers bose makes. they pretend like these speakers are innovative and everything. and charge you a shitload for them. i'd have to say it's quite a brilliant marketing scheme. anyway, don't believe bose's crap. sell them now and buy something nice. they have a great resale value by the way, due to bose's wonderful marketing. and im not being sarcastic.

i dont know about the bookshelf size speakers but as far as the lifestyle surround systems go, i have absolutely no respect for bose. Sure, its cool that your speakers are really small, but small speakers make the material sounds like it's coming out of little 6 inch cubes! :eek: Then they throw in a subwoofer so that explosions in movies rumble, niiiccceeee

na mine arent the small ass ones...theyre i dunno...big , bout the size of 2 studio monitors on top of each other. n mine actually have too much mids on it...

then you must have the 901's, which are basically 9 4" "full range" cones put together and are best for reproducing a 1khz sine wave. i dont remember if they have 8 facing backward and one forward, (knowing bose that's probably the case), or if it was 8 forward and one backward. but either way I'd have to say those are the worst speakers bose makes my friend. and the reason they have that active eq thing is cuz naturally, they sound even shittier.

sorry to be so harsh but i completely hate bose, as you may have noticed.

i have 901, 301 and 201 in my house..901 have 10 times the dynamics of the 301 and 201's but they still don't compare to some nice monitors.. the 201's i HAD to use for mixing at one point and usually when you listen to them you think they sound great.. they're cut in the hi's, boosted in the mids and hyped in the lows..i had some ok mixs with them but i had to do like 5 mixes on the songs... the 301's are about the samebut they're a little smoother. still even the simple but good yorkville monitors you'll hear a major difference.

I have the ART SLM1's, (rebadged Yorkvilles) and I highly recommend them. Before I got these a couple months ago, I was using home stereo speakers, PC speakers and headphones for monitoring and mixing. I can tell you that monitors make a HUGE difference. I really don't know what I'd do without them now. I can now here what's really going on in my recordings. One of the best equipment investments I've ever made.

Back