What recording magazines do you read?

CrazyMonkey

As a recording rookie trying to improve my knowledge I try to read as much as possible. I've noticed there are several magazines available for everyone from the home recording enthusiast to the professional engineer. So, which magazines do you consider worth reading, and which are crap? Which magazines would you recommend to a newbie, an intermediate, and to an expert engineer? Which ones tend to offer great advice and techniques, and which just review and advertise for gear?

TapeOp is cool and its FREE !!
Recording is pretty good..

What I do is go to Books A Millon , look tru them and get the one thats got something I'm interested in..

Don

Barely Legal.
Oh, wait, you said recording magazines!
In that case I want to change my answer.
Recording.
Sometimes Mix, if they have a cool looking studio on the cover.:D

Tape OP!!!

Future Music for electronic music making is good too (UK mag)

Most other magazines do little else than stoke my gear lust. Not much usefull info to be found between the gear reviews and pretty ads. Much more usefull info to be found on this board.

I subscribe to Mix, EQ...
I read Recording on and off....
I occasionally pick up Studio Sound (when I can get it here - it's a UK mag).......!

whats that magazine that everyone seems to love, but actually seems to be just about techno djs, and reviews of their shows and cds? And articles about artists and cds, and nothing really about gear or recording. is'nt that mixmag?

Recording, EQ, Home Recording & Mix

I agree that on a whole most of the mags are heavy on gear reviews and light on actual recording tips and techniques.

I suspect I've learned more on this site than I have from the mags.

I subscribed to EQ, Tape Op in the past, now its just Tape Op since I found the BBS. The BBS is every magizine artical anyone could ever write, personalized for you.

Whatever looks good at borders...Future Music, Home Recording, Electronic Musician, PC Recording, Nun's Life... If it comes with a free sample CD I'll usually pay the 10 bucks. Need to check into that Tape Op sheeat.

Back