What other equipment do I need?

1987demo

My friend and I are finally taking the plunge into producing our own music after years of tip toeing around it and not being in the best position financially/personally to do so. I've been in the process of purchasing the equipment we need and also planning the acoustic treatment and soundproofing in the room I'll be using as a home studio in my apartment. We'll be producing music for different genres like Hip-Hop, R&B/Neo-Soul, Dark Wave, etc.. And I will also be producing/recording hardcore-punk for personal projects as I play drums, guitar, and bass. Both of our music tastes are very, very broad.

Below is the current equipment we have and would like to know what else we need/should get. For example: another interface, headphone amp, power conditioner, specific cables, etc. (nothing crazy expensive please, we don't have much left to spend)

Computer
27-inch iMac 5k Retina Display (3.8GHz 8-Core)

DAW
FL Studio

Controllers
- Akai Professional MPC One
- Arturia KeyLab MKII 61 MIDI Controller

Interface
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen)

Headphones
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones

Monitors
In between Mackie CR8-XBT and Adam Audio T8V

Instruments & Mics
- Guitar
- Bass
- Drums (stored and recorded at another location)
- Various Pedals & Amps
- Various mics

If you plan on using your monitors much you should upgrade your interface.

Your 2nd Gen interface only has unbalanced outputs. To minimize noise you should move up to Gen 3 at least, or a bigger model if budget permits. And add a couple short TRS cables, or XLR if the interface permits.

Appreciate the advice :thumbs up:. Kind of figured we'd need to upgrade the interface just on the lack of inputs alone. I've had it for a few years just to quickly record guitar/bass or to use for reference when I didn't have an amp on me.

Back