What mixer do you have and which do you love?

Which one do you Own?

• Total voters
the firewire send comes after the mic input and line, pre insert/eq/fader/etc.

you can manage to use the inserts and eq, though, by sending the selected channel to one of the subgroups, then routing the sub back into the line in on an open channel

I've had an alesis desk in my studio. We recorded our first album on it and sounded good, but minimal features.

I just bought the toft ATB console... Pricey, but it's superb... sound, features, everything on this console is great (Although I only have the alesis to compare it with)... this is a quality desk.

Running it with a pair of delta1010 cards, cubase studio 4, rack of good pre's & comps and some decent (not great) mics.

If you can get the cash together then I'm sure you won't regret this buy.

I have heard nothing less than phenomenal feedback on these. Are the preamps good enough to use standalone?

Pete

I have an Allen and Heath GL2400 that I sometimes use for tracking and it works well for me. I use a Soundcraft M4 for my monitor mix and it has some decent mic preamps in it too.

If I were to use either as an actual mixer, I'd probably opt for the Allen and Heath because I think the EQ is better/more flexable and it has more sends. I haven't worked with the higher end Soundcraft stuff though.

I remember getting all excited about the Onyx stuff when they first came out, but when I compared on of their boards to an Allen and Heath MixWiz, I opted for got my Allen and Heath board and has served me well for the past year or two.

Just wondering what is the most popular analog mixer out there.

Analog....firewire, spdif....hmmmm

I have an old AKAI MG1214 with built in 12 track tape deck. The deck unfortunately did not work, and I have not yet had a chance to get it serviced. The preamps are great though, I record most of my guitars and drums through it, but unfortunately it does not have phantom power so have to use other gear to run some mics. I've used a Mackie 8bus, can't remember the model, but it was a good unit aside from the 'ghosts in the machine', it would start doing unprogrammed fader moves all on its own, though only very rarely. I would have to say from my experiences I would like a Mackie board; if the money was no object, an SSL.

I have had good luck with the

Allen & Heath MixWizard3 16:2 Mixer

Mackie 808M (the majority of the gigs I did from 2001-2006)

Yamaha EMX5000-12

but the Mackie 808S that my other bandmate bought 2 years ago seems to
SUCK BALLS compared to the older mono version, doesn't sound the same at all.

i ahve a 16 line analog behringer mixer, and as my main mixer i ahve a tascam fw1082 firewire mixer, and that is my baby. i love it. eveyrhting i need and want in a mixer is what it is.

now, i just need to find my favorite pre amps...

I had a Mackie, then took it back and got an Allen and Heath MixWizard 16. The MixWizard is a much more confugureable mixer and higher quality than the Mackie by far.

Hey, Im looking to buy a mixer in the near future.
Will use it with my 2 drummachines SP-12 and MPC60 (both 8 mono outs) and
my Fostex R8 analog recorder.
Im looking for some buttons ep channel that have not much se so i can rebuild them to make them send midi-signals to control my akai s3000xl or R8..

I sthat even possible?
Lookied at the yamaha MG16 and soundcraft spirit mixers, minus the built in effects.
What can you recommend me?

I have a brand new OTHER model T-48..........OK,maybe not....but I fall into the non listed other classification.......I still live in the stone age,I have been using 2 soundtech ST122's modified into a single 24 track thingie......Works ok for me....So far it hasn't let me down,and sounds pretty good for what it is.....most of the time,I use it for mixdown also,but I have an old setup that a friend gave me a few years back..Don't know who made it, ( CAN WE SAY HOMEMADE) but it's 8 channels of tube flavored nervana......every now and then I crank it up and use it......sounds great ......but after awhile it heats up and shuts down.....so it's mostly a conversation piece...:D

I currently own a Soundcraft Ghost 32. It is a nice piece and has been a real pleasure to use. The NEXT board will be the SAME board only with Jim Williams upgrades on 8 channels and the master section. THEN...if things go the way I want them to, I will own a Harrison Model 12. I've recorded on Neves, MCI's, Ameks, an ancient Soundcraft, as well as your Mackie, Allen/Heaths, AMR's, etc...Nothing has sounded like the Harrison stuff to me. There's just a warmth and clarity there that needs to be heard to know...And since I cant afford a Helios..........

man, i was going to say i couldnt believe berhinger came in second, then i realized it only had 15 votes out of 63 total, so it isnt that suprising.

but, i guess my alesis stuff isnt that much better quality than berhinger, so......what can i say?

I have a Yamaha DM1000 and for my purposes it's perfect so you can also count that as my vote for "which do you love" as well. In the ideal world I'd also have a PM5D RH for live work, but this is a recording forum!

It's no surprise that Behringer did okay in the "which do you have" stakes. While far from great, their stuff works and is good value for the (cheap) money. To get a significant improvement you have to spend a fair bit more...and not everyone can do this.

Bob

Another voice...

for the the Allen and Heath MW3....love my board. The direct outs are very recordable (and configurable with the internal switches) - letting you get the VERY nice A/H preamp sound into your DAW as well. The live sound/EQ (IMO) actually nudge the Onyx mixer's sound fairly discernably as well.

Jay

Back