What mixer do you have and which do you love?

Which one do you Own?

• Total voters
Hey Battle Minnow!

Thanks for the update (and the information that it they can be Daisy Chained).
If you Daisy Chain them do you get all the combined Channels separate or are the channels of one combined into one (or two) of the other?

Freudian Slip said:
Ya, I just don't want scratchy pots & faders in five years :o I did have a very nice feeling yammaha MC802 that was a tank and it had scratchy pots in five years so I guess you never know. My VLZ is about 12 years old and has never had an issue.

F.S.

You have a point Mr. Freud! I also suppose how often you use the board will also make a difference (miles driven versus time owned).

Not to suggest that you do not take care of your equipment but that also goes into account of how well the equipment stands up throughout the ages.

Thanks
D

Dracon said:
Hey Battle Minnow!

Thanks for the update (and the information that it they can be Daisy Chained).
If you Daisy Chain them do you get all the combined Channels separate or are the channels of one combined into one (or two) of the other?

Nope, all separate. I use Cubase, and they appear strangely named in the connection menu, but they translate just fine once you sort out the names. If I remember right, they show up named " sub channel 1..." or something, so channel 17 is named channel 1 as well as 1, but they are indeed different. Quirky, but effective.

Pete

battleminnow said:
Nope, all separate. I use Cubase, and they appear strangely named in the connection menu, but they translate just fine once you sort out the names. If I remember right, they show up named " sub channel 1..." or something, so channel 17 is named channel 1 as well as 1, but they are indeed different. Quirky, but effective.

Pete

Well if that's the worst of it then no problem. Any latency issues when they are Daisy Chained together?

I suspect you also have a 10,000 RPM Hard Drive?

I don't know what's so great about the Mackie stuff. I think the Allen&Heath MixWiz series is much better for the money. And when I can borrow it, I love recording on the 32 channel Midas Venice. -DJ

Dracon said:
Well if that's the worst of it then no problem. Any latency issues when they are Daisy Chained together?

I suspect you also have a 10,000 RPM Hard Drive?
Actually, I have recorded using 5400rpm with no probs, for limited channels. I currently use a 7200rpm drive with no probs.

And no latency issues due to the routing (just standard system stuff.) My old studio setup (which included the 1640 as the main board) was virtually latency free with or without the extra 1220 added in, running Cubase SX3 with many VST FX. I have not tested my current setup with the extra routing because I haven't needed to dig the 1640 out-- 1220 is fine for most of my needs, now using Cubase Studio 4.

Pete

I wish you had an "other" category, because I don't own mixers by any of those manufacturers.

What I do own and love is a couple of Speck XtraMixes, and a Speck X.Sum.

I am currently using a Behringer DDX3216. The only thing I REALLY hate about it is the dull sounding mic pres. It is a good match for my HD24 and it has alot of nice features built in. When I went to this mixer, I though the mic pre issue was not going to be the big of deal. After using it for a couple of years, I have found it more difficult to get great mixes of full band productions. As I listen back to my old mixes from my other boards, I can a BIG difference from the change of mic pre's.

My previous mixer was a MCI JH416 (BIG jump in quality). Although it sounded GREAT, it was high maintenance and I never had the whole board working right.

A few other boards I have own are:
-- Mackie 1604 - Good starter mixer (great for live PA )
-- Roland VS-880 - Too limiting
-- KORG 168RC 168 RC - Very cold and brittle sounding

Looking back, the board I should have kept was a Hill. I bought it for a great price and it worked great, and I am kicking myself for getting rid of it, but I had my reasons for wanting to get something else. Sometimes the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Ok, I've just bought my first mixer - a Mackie 1402 VLZ 3...

I've used the old 1202, and was impressed with it, so I got the 1402 for my home studio to route synths into my main PC, plus to have the ability to record vocals and set-up a separate foldback mix for the singer. Plus any other routing jobs that crop up.

It's still in its box behind me. It will travel home with me tonight on the train and be wired up over the weekend....

:D

SonicAlbert said:
I wish you had an "other" category, because I don't own mixers by any of those manufacturers.

What I do own and love is a couple of Speck XtraMixes, and a Speck X.Sum.

Sorry Mr. Albert,

I have never even heard of your brand of XtraMixes but you are right I didn't not include other category. However, I'm not so sure that would have been useful to anyone.

Most people who had some other brand that is not listed would have obviously selected other. However, statistically other doesn't tell me what that really means in terms of which brand of other. Granted not having the other doesn't tell me that there are other folks who like other brands other than the one listed. Yet, I was only interested in finding out about those brands.

In the future if I ever have a similar poll then I'll add the other to the poll.

I have a Behringer...that i like, a lot actually. I was thinking about upgrading to a Mackie, but ive heard so much crap about them...obviously ive heard a ton about behringer, but just more about some kind of "distinct Mackie tone" but in a..bad way. Idk, but I was thinking about either bumping up to an MX9000, or a mackie for around the same price, in a little while. But i'd have to say, for what i do/have done..the behringer is pretty good for that. It's a Xeynx 2222FX if anyone's curious.

Hey JPXtom,

What preamps have you compared the Behringer pre's to? I am curious if the Mackie Onyx preamp circuit was the inspiration for the xenyx pre's or if Behringer just compied the name.

I have never really heard the Mackie preamps referred to as "bad" as much as I have heard "not the best." That being said, the Onyx preamps Mackie makes are pretty great for the money, and a lot of people really love them.

Pete

Oh, i havent really compared them..just from what i heard, is what i was saying...which, obviously since there are so many MANY MANYYYY different views, especially in music, im not gonna go based only on that. The xenyx pre's are nice..a little buzzy sometimes, but their okay. Like i said, they get the job done...im just looking for a better interface, and then get a better mackie/behringer/soundcraft mixer.

I've got to say, so far the pres on my Mackie are totally quiet, I'm very pleased...

...no colouration or anything noticeable...

...probably because I haven't plugged anything into it or switched it on yet.... :)

Agent47 said:
I've got to say, so far the pres on my Mackie are totally quiet, I'm very pleased...

...no colouration or anything noticeable...

...probably because I haven't plugged anything into it or switched it on yet.... :)

... and when you put your ear up to them, you can hear the ocean!!

:D :D

Pete

toft atb16

I've had an alesis desk in my studio. We recorded our first album on it and sounded good, but minimal features.

I just bought the toft ATB console... Pricey, but it's superb... sound, features, everything on this console is great (Although I only have the alesis to compare it with)... this is a quality desk.

Running it with a pair of delta1010 cards, cubase studio 4, rack of good pre's & comps and some decent (not great) mics.

If you can get the cash together then I'm sure you won't regret this buy.

Back