What to look for in a head phone amp?

Mongoo

I will need to get a head phone amp but really have know Idea what I'm suppose to look for. I figure I will at lease use to sets of cans, on for quite listening and one for tracking. I may need more for tracking, but don't know.

Whats typicly the norm for headphone amps and features? What about the headphones themselves?

Thanks

Mongoo

Oh Great Mongoo:

Well, you can check out the zines of vendors and you will usually find two/three types/models/makes of can amps.

For many years, I used a simple Peavey; however, I just got a Rolls, model #HA43.

This 43 has 4 stereo inputs. [Stereo as can plugs are stereo.] The 43 is an AMPLIFIER and has an volume fader for each input. When I plugged it in, I realized that the Peavey was no more than a patchbay--it didn't amplify.

The 43 goes for around 50 pezzutos at Full Compass.

As for cans, well, you can research and look at the zines and ads and you have all kinds of choices. Closed back cans are needed if you are doing vocals--open back tend to bleed or pick up unwanted sounds.

I like Beyer cans. Comfortable and closed, models DT250 and DT770 are what I have in the studio. But, the Beyers cost around 135 pezzutos per.

Shop around and always buy from a vendor who will take back the gear within a specified time, like 30 days. You will, of course, lose out on the shipping charges; however, you might find free shipping incoming.

Green Hornet :D :D

Back