What do I need in a Mac DAW?

Delmont

Hey!

I've reached my limit with my Tascam and am thinking of building a DAW. Recordings would range from two to ten tracks.

I know I want a Mac, and I know I want to use Logic Pro. I'm wondering:

- Will a bottom-of-the-line iMac or MacBook Air do it? If not, what would?

- Other than mic, interface, headphones, and cables, what other gear would I need?

- To record a band, would I need an interface with enough inputs for every mic and instrument? Or would a stereo mixer into a two-input interface work?

Thanks!

Del

How big of a band? What kind of space do you have?

A full band is a big chore and you probably need a dozen channels or so. If that’s really your goal at least a minimum of an interface with 4 mic pres and ADAT capability plus the ADAT piece with 8 pres is about as cheap a way to get there.

I would not likely go with the entry Air because those processors are optimized to run cool and not use much power. You might track ok but mixing could be tedious. Plus you’ll want a big screen and you’ll have to buy a crapload if adapters with the new MacBooks and their Thunderbolt port.

But give us some more details on how/where you’re picturing this recording setup to be used.

How big of a band? What kind of space do you have?

A full band is a big chore and you probably need a dozen channels or so. If that’s really your goal at least a minimum of an interface with 4 mic pres and ADAT capability plus the ADAT piece with 8 pres is about as cheap a way to get there.

I would not likely go with the entry Air because those processors are optimized to run cool and not use much power. You might track ok but mixing could be tedious. Plus you’ll want a big screen and you’ll have to buy a crapload if adapters with the new MacBooks and their Thunderbolt port.

But give us some more details on how/where you’re picturing this recording setup to be used.
The usual. Drums, bass, two or three more instruments, vocals.

Is a bottom-of-the-line iMac enough? If not, what Macs will work?

Whatever I record by myself will be done at my house. For recordings involving anyone else, it will be at someone else's.

So - you're saying I need a DAW and an ADAT?

Last edited:
So just to clarify, the DAW, to me anyway, is just the computer, software (I think sometimes considered the DAW), and at least the interface.

When you say you want to record a band I assumed you meant “all at once” and that’s why I leapt to the large number of channels. If you’d do it a track at a time then you only need the number of tracks required for the drum kit, but that can be several tracks. So, add up how many tracks you will need to record at the same time. That is a criteria for the interface, mics, stands, cables part of the budget.

If you expect to be going to other locations to record a laptop probably makes more sense. You can record a lot of tracks at once without taxing an entry machine but mixing can be where things get stressed. And I’ll still say an 11” screen is going to be hard to work with so you’ll want an external monitor.

Most interfaces have an optical in, which allows you to sync an inexpensive mic pre to it for more inputs. This is an inexpensive way to get more inputs. IMO, it is better to base your interface selection on quality, rather than quantity of inputs. I use the Universal Audio Apollo Twin, and it only has two XLR inputs. I use software drums, so that isn't a problem. If I want to track real drums I can add a device on the cheap. At any rate, this gives me two stellar channels for building tracks, and I could add 8 more inputs for around $200, if I wanted to.
Hope that helps.

Back