Virtual Recording Studio

schroderr

So I've been using this application called eJamming (ejamming.com) and it's great. But what they just released is a new feature called Overdub that let's you record with anyone, anywhere in the world with no latency issues. It's quite amazing. They basically invented the virtual recording studio.

Even though this is probably a spam thread, this might turn out to be a cool product. It looks like you can record tracks along with strangers over the Internet. Hmm.

(Perhaps the moderator can move it to the mp3 forum.)

Nope it's not spam. I'm spreading the word so I can find more people to record with. I'm working on a project to record with someone from each continent. Know anyone in Antarctica?

That does look interesting, but I'm shut out -- at my over-computered house, I've got two macs, one linux, one win2k, and one 64bit vista box, none of which are supported. They should support macs - bunch of us out there with the hardware for this sort of thing.

Virtual recording across the world with other people simultaneously?
I firmly place my feet in the sceptics' ranks.

Ray, I'm happy to show you how it works. It's really a blast. You record one track at time, overdubbing on to what you already have. The person recording has no latency issues. And it's in beta so it's FREE!

Truly a great tool if you need a track from someone far away.

It DOES support Macs. I'm on a mac. In fact I find the Mac users have less issues getting hooked up on it.
Indeed it does -- the mac requirements were "below the fold" in my web browser, so I couldn't see them. I signed up, but am now consumed with turkey day activities. I'll try and set up a rig soon.

I had to look at their copyright policy -- not bad (each participant owns his/her original tracks, and all members of a jam session (playing or not) own the original work as a whole) - hope it doesn't change. If I were to do much on there, I guess I'd be watching the policy like a hawk. This part's interesting:

With regard to cover (non-original) material, eJamming, Inc. has paid for blanket licenses from the music performing rights organizations (ASCAP, BMI and SESAC) covering your performance online of such cover material, and you are not responsible for paying any additional public performance license fees
I guess they had to address this issue proactively, or be assured of a bunch of C&D letters as soon as everyone got hooked up :)

Ok, I'll watch & wait. I'm not a quick "uptake"r of new technology - I like the adventurous to have a play & sort out the probs 1st.

The beauty of the "overdub" feature is that it's the simplest recording tool I've ever used. It's not intended to be your total recording solution, rather, a tool to get a track when you need one. It's also perfect for recording demos. But the most inspirational part to me - and I truly hope people embrace this - is how you can collaborate in real-time with people far away and get your ideas down "on tape" immediately.

Back