Tv coaxial cable as audio cable.

Vagodeoz

One-Man-Band
Well I surely can't find anywhere else to post this.
I reciently switched cable tv company, and the old one left about 20 mts of coaxial cable which they never came to claim, even though they said they would.
Anyway, since they seem tough and are build for outdoors I was thinking they must tolerate static and other stuff pretty well, and I thought about using it for audio porpuses, more specificly for an instrument cable (1/4" TS) and for connecting my monitors (also 1/4" TS).
Do you think it's a good idea? Has anyone tried this?
(Right now I use rather cheap cables)

I would guess it will work fine for instrument level or line level signal. They should be shielded and coax is. I would not use it for speaker level though, (from amp to speaker,) unless your speakers are powered.

It may have a lot of resistance because the center conductor in most TV coax is solid. You may get better results with stranded cable. I suppose it will not be easy to put 1/4” connectors on and it will be too stiff to be hanging from your guitar.

I don’t know. I can’t think of any reason not to try it.

Anybody else??

Actually I have active monitors, so it would be from my Xenyx 2442FX's unbalanced Control Room outputs, to my active M-Audio BX5s.
And yes, they are indeed shielded like hell, that is why I thought about using them for audio.
Now that I think about it... I could also use it to connect my mixer's direct outputs to my Delta 1010Lt. Both are unbalanced and are a crucial stage of the signal I guess, so I might also give them a try in there.
For now I'm going to make one 1/4" cable. I'll let you know the results (hopefully it won't be THAT hard to put the connectors).

I use RG-6/RG-6u (which is probably what you have) for several runs in my house. Some are audio, like a 40 foot run from my receiver to subwoofer. I have crimp on f-connectors, then screw on RCA's. There is no reason why it won't work, just soldering a single solid core conductor is gonna be a pain, never tried it myself though...

You might look for f-connector female to male 1/4" adaptors, kind'a like what I have done with f to rca.

Using 75 ohm coax for an instrument cable will probably affect the sound of the pickups. It's also not very flexible, it will be a giant pain in the ass.

Not all cable is the same, each type is designed for a specific purpose.

Back