Tubes are too advanced...

I think the way it works is this:

The transformer in the telephone receiver induces movement in the little metal disk that's suspended between the strings. The strings then transfer the energy from the movement of the disk to the diaphragm of the gramophone, which acoustically amplifies the signal.

The rotating glass disk upon which the little metal disk rests (but it's not fully resting as the strings that support it are under tension) simply keeps the disk level and provides a constant friction - perhaps serving as a damping mechanism for the disk so that its movement, coupled with the spring at the end of the string, don't get out of hand.

So it seems that this thing is three-way transducer: from electronic to mechanical, and mechanical to acoustic.

Last edited:
Zaphod B said:
So it seems that this thing is three-way transducer: from electronic to mechanical, and mechanical to acoustic.
Kind of like a speaker driver, now that I think about it.

The transformer and metal disk in the Frenophone serve the same function as the coil of a speaker; the string and the gramophone diaphram function similarly to a speaker voice coil coupled to the speaker cone. The gramophone bell is the acoustic coupler, as is the cone of a speaker.

hey all!

i'm new to this forum, and my desire to build far outweighs my knowledge, but i've been looking on information on building a frenophone for a little over a year now.

i did come across a german site that explains in further detail how it all works. yet i can't post links yet...5 post rule yikes!

if i get enough posts under my belt and you're interested i'll post the translated site, maybe it'll shed some light on things? seems like you've already got it figured out, it just has some interesting diagrams too!

i really want to build this...with the eventual goal of making one solid enough to plug a guitar into. where might i start with this? i was going to attempt to frankenstein some old telephones and phonograph parts...but i should probably start more simply by learning to make speakers and the like eh?

any input or assistance would be greatly appreciated! i'm an animator by trade so this is pretty foreign [yet exciting!] to me!

thanks much!

:: smo ::

i really want to build this...with the eventual goal of making one solid enough to plug a guitar into. where might i start with this? i was going to attempt to frankenstein some old telephones and phonograph parts...but i should probably start more simply by learning to make speakers and the like eh?

I would think a modern version would be much easier. You'd need an air valve that could be electronically controlled, a suitable amplifier circuit for a guitar into the valve, an air compressor, and a horn. A pro sound tweeter horn should do.

It will probably still sound like ass . . .

Back