Tascam DP24SD or an 8 channel interface? - Need help

xicosilveira

Hi everyone.

So I want to get my first home studio started but as always, I'm on a budget.

As you all surely know, I need an interface to record stuff. For about the same price, I can get either a Tascam DP24SD or a maudio track 8 interface. I'd like to get opinions on which of these 2 is best for my case.

So basically I'm gonna need to navigate tracks and edit piece by piece, and to do that, I'd assume I'm gonna need a DAW (or can I do these type of editing straight into the tascam?). I've worked with cubase but since I'll be doing professional work I'm going to go with Reaper (no need for piracing).

So is the tascam worth it if I'll be using it as an interface anyways? Got any other suggestions for me?

Any help is apreciated.

I don’t think the DP24SD works as an interface too. It’s just a standalone digital recorder. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re saying. Anyway......with most any DAW you will not need the Tascam. You can transfer files from the tascam to the DAW and vice versa but that’s a lot of $$$$ to spend for no added benefit IMO. Just go with an AI and Reaper.

It depends on how you want to work, people that love computers and software would use the interface. People that want to record and not worry about computers and software would use the Tascam DP24SD.

Alan.

1. How many tracks do you need to be able to record simultaneously? Do you need 8? More than 8? If you don't need 8 simultaneous tracks, there are some fine units with tons of features that generally can playback up to 8 at once.

Yes, you can do your editing on the Tascam, it is a standalone unit. I recommend looking at the youtube tutorials before you buy, and see if its the kind of platform you'd want to work with.

You can , of course, also record on the Tascam, which is relatively portable, and then transfer the files to your favorite DAW.

I have been looking at the Tascam recorders also. You might want to take into account that the DP-24 and DP-32 are quite outdated at this point. They are still very useful, and for people like me who started on standalone multitrackers, appealing.

I'm not sure if there will ever be another flagship Tascam multi-tracker, I hope there is.

You may really want to check these options out:

ZOOM L-12 - mixer, interface, multitrack recorder, all in one. Nothing else quite does what it does at this point. Has its limitations of course, but amazing. Geared towards live use as well. (for instance it has 5 separate headphone outs that can all be different mixes, for monitors or in-ears)

ZOOM R-16/R-24 - also interface/mixer/recorders, but not as useful for live situations. The R-24 has a drum machine built in , and has some impressive sampling capabilities. (So too does the R-8)

Behringer XR18 - This thing is a beast. 18 simultaneous track recording, some built-in effects, decent preamps, and its also a WiFi mixer, so this one is also an awesome tool for live sound. The XR16 and XR12 units are cool also, but be advised they only record in 2-track stereo.

Do as much research as possible!

In general, I would stay away from the Tascam DP-24SD as it's going to give you reliability problems down the road. Sorry to have to say that as I am a Tascam fan from way back.

Back