Tascam 424mkIII

Dj SoundStorm

Hi

recently added a Tascam 424mkIII to my small home studio. to use with it I also picked up a Fostex RD-8 Adat and Fostex Dat Recorder.
Mostly what a record are world flutes, various bamboo flutes, native american flutes and Drums. my music style is New Age/Ambient.
I don't have a pc yet to use currently in the process of building one, my other main daw is a zoom mrs 1044
I'm still kind of studio newbie. I was wondering is there a way to connect some of my outboard rack gear to my tascam 424 ? can I connect a patchbay then use my gear that way ? I have a few external compressors and rack style synths that I would like to use as well as studio effects ?

Dj SoundStorm said:
can I connect a patchbay then use my gear that way ?
Sure. When I was first starting to record patchbays REALLY intimidated me. What got me over it was understanding that all they are is the inputs and outputs brought to one central location.

For example, you could designate 12 patch points to be the 4 inputs to your cassette machine and the 8 inputs to your Fostex ADAT. Then you could connect the stereo outputs of a synth module to 2 more points, then the ins and outs of a stereo compressor to 4 more points. Then if you wanted to record the synth module to 2 tracks of the ADAT you don't need to crawl around behind the rack to patch them in - just plug patch cords out of the synth outs and into the ADAT ins. And that's just one example.

If you read up on patchbays, you'll probably run across the terms 'normalling' or 'normal connections'. That means that, for example, if you normally (hence the name) use Effect send 1 with a Lexicon reverb, the effect outputs from the board could appear on the bottom two jacks and the inputs for the Lexicon could appear at the top two. If no jack is inserted in the patch points the signal would be routed thru the Lexicon. If you insert a patch cord in each of the bottom patch points it would break the connection and allow you to route the Effect 1 send to the other effect of your choice.

Back