Sub 200$ monitors

Avizzzzzz

Hi, I'm a guitarist, songwriter and a beginner producer. Up until now I've been mixing with headphones (AKG 240) but I wanna get a pair of studio monitors for under 200$. I'm set between a pair of Roland MA-15D(used), Berhinger MS-20, Behringer 40USB, and M-Audio AV-42. Any tips or recommendations?

We work Rock, Folk, Metal and I track electric (amp and DI) and acoustic guitars, Bass, acoustic piano, vocals, setar, etc...

Gear: Scarlett 2i4 - Behringer C-2 - Sennhieser e609

My best deals were used $200. Craigslist, no tax and shipping.

Of the ones you mentioned I dont have any experience. The original MAudio BX5 were popular when added a Subwoofer, very nice.

I think in general a lot of HR gear is in great shape used, LIVE not so much...

If you lived near DFW, Texas I've a spare set around that price.

Mmmm, found a pair of BX5-D2 used in my budget, prob gonna go for that. I live in Iran so unfortunately not that close:)

LOL yeah the shipping would eat up the $200....
SOS had a good write up.

"The BX5 D2 is a bi-amplified design, with two Class-A/B amplifiers providing a total of 70 Watts of power. A 40W amplifier feeds a five-inch low-frequency/mid-range driver, and the one-inch, silk-dome tweeter has its own 30W amp (the crossover frequency is set at 3kHz). Internal control circuitry helps to protect the speakers from damage: a subsonic filter keeps out the extreme low frequencies that might otherwise stress the speakers unnecessarily, while RF filtering keeps out frequencies above the audio range. The circuitry also avoids thumps during power up or down, and there's amplifier protection against overheating or over-current." "latest-generation woven Kevlar low-frequency drivers and waveguide-loaded silk dome tweeters "Power: Factory programmed for either 115V ~50/60 Hz or 230V ~50/60 Hz

post first impressions...

Attachments

• maudio bx5d2.png
    maudio bx5d2.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 24
I know what I'm about to say might sound blasphemous among us audiophile and elite, but what I've learned is that its more important to listen to something your ears know in a good sounding room. Invest into your room first before buying any monitors. (its not expensive to build some sound proofing ). If you've done this, get something thats gonna give you a good frequency range. Larger size cones are better if you're not going to buy a sub. I used to own focal cms65's and sold em, Just because they didn't give me an image on my lowend. Since im portable now and cant soundproof my room. I use reference headphones and cheap logitech desktop speakers with a sub, just so I can hear what the bass is doing. Actually works pretty well for me, just because im now familiar with what Im listening for.

Anyhow, hope this helps, cheers!

yeah and in most HR places the room is what it is ....so the 3ft/ "triangle" comes next with placing the Nearfields.

cheap Yamaha NS10 without subs were used in pro studios for years, so even those sub-par speakers , aka home hifi speakers , were in great rooms most likely.

I ended up the same , after moving rooms and etc...less time recording, the Open Back Headphone with a Nice Headphone Amp , and using a "plugin Speaker simulator" on the main outputs of the DAW is the best for my room.

I have thought about hooking up some pc speakers again.....my KRK V6 and DynAUdio sit on the floor unused for months, almost a year...

Back