Studio Montors

Olijanovi

I have been working with headphones for the past months... I need to get studio monitors. Which ones do you recommend on a small budget?

I've always understood the $1000 mark is the next level, the DYNAUDIO , ADAM..... then the Barefoot range.

Used you can grab some $1,000 around $650 at times.

All the music marts pretty much have them all on the shelf , up to the DYNAUDIO entry / ADAM entry levels..

imo, i like the 6's, versus the 8's... been listening to 5's in a small room lately, their ok, havent mixed with them yet.

i have an old amp, currently looking for some old passives at the moment, waiting for a steal on some $1,000 + passives for $150 :)...no luck yet.

I really don't know anything about monitors... I get that the brands are DYNAUDIO and ADAM but... what is 6, 8 or 5?

Yes I meant with the sub.

What would be the difference between that ensemble (KRK RP6) and the DYNAUDIO or ADAM that coolcat was mentioning?

I really don't know anything about monitors... I get that the brands are DYNAUDIO and ADAM but... what is 6, 8 or 5?

the speaker's for nearfield monitoring usually have a 5", 6", or 8" in the average speaker's, for example at GC or the ZZounds or Sweetwater etc..(some as small as 3inch, 4inch speakers...10 and 12 and 15 probably termed MidField further away)

I would even say most are 5-6-8, and that leaves 6" in the middle, if you read the specs on the monitors your looking at.

8" has more bass, 6" maybe more mids, less bass, 5" less bass which can get complicated fast and way over my head too. theres other factors amps and brands and internal parts.

but KRK for example, RP5 is a 5", RP6" 6.5", RP8 8"....etc..etc.. I'll even suggest almost all are 5,6, or 8 in the GC stores (excluding the subwoofers which you are on a budget and wont be buying anyway).

I found some KRK RP5 on CL really cheap, they work great and were below $100 for the pair used. $175 a pair is common, thats "used".

I like KRK, they have few repair issues it seems, and they are focused on making monitors.

On a small budget you wont find Adams and DynAudio, they're not even commonly found used, imo. ....owners love 'em it seems per the absence of Used listings.

KRK RP 6 would be sweet, RP5 seem alright, but if your into bass heavy stuff I'd save for the RP6 or RP8'.

How much you have to spend?

I can not overstate my love for my JBL LSR2325's with the LSR 2310 sub. Everyone is stunned the first time I play something on them.
Incredibly clear and articulate.

Just noticed some used KRK V6, not rp series, for $325 a pair. a sweet deal.

I noticed the price range was mentioned, $500 pair.

I just got back looking at some used V6, with the black cone (whatever that means?), I declined. We plugged em in and they were working well, so that was cool.

CL seller said even $200 for the pair, would do it. He already upgraded.

It was tempting but not the model I wanted, was wanting to try the yellow kevlar....for $200 the amp and worn cabinet would be a great deal...but.....

I controlled my gear addiction for a morning. they were listed at $325 pair which is good pricing for the V6, GC had a few used at $379....$200 though, I'll probably wonder about them all day...lol..hmmm? :)

add: reading around a bit $200 isnt uncommon for these.
If GC sells them at $379, they usually pay 50% of shelf price, so thats $175- ish...then the condition plays for $50+/-....

hmm? I might pull the trigger , I could sell my RP5 in the back for $150...??
Gear (*&*(())(

add #2: well I caved in and grabbed them for an agreed $220.
after reading about them being the version 1, built at the Huntington Beach "Surf City", USA...had to hear them
the connectors seem to be built like a tank.....took some blurry pics but the quantity of bolts and finish show it was built well.
Just listening to some Rubber Soul, brilliant sounding speakers, with more mids (I'd set them with JBL's due to a mid range clarity). Acoustic and sitar and vocals really impressive.
The seller said he wanted more bass, he was running a studio for work and needed more , much more bass...
He said for Vocals these have been great with V6's. most impressed that these have lasted this well and sound so good, and the LED's work...and the decals havent worn off. The odd grey speckle has worn on the edges...oh well.

now wheres where's those Dick Dale Surf Guitar cd's....yo the Beach Boys....Jan and Dean to ....SURF CITY... :)

Last edited:
Yeah I think I will start with the KRK V6.

Olijanovi, I think you'll be in good shape with those. the 6" is a good middle ground, imo. I didnt mention the seller also had some RP5's he said he likes those too, so who knows what will work best?

looking at AIR studio's list today....Toycupboard, what a beautiful studio.

Nearfield monitors from AR, ATC, B&W, Dynaudio, Genelec, HHB, KRK, ProAc, Yamaha.

AIR Studios - Studios - Studio2 - Toy Cupboard

Monitoring...same list for all 3 rooms..

Acoustic Research AR18 (1 pair)
ATC SCM 20 (1 pair)
Auratone C4 (2 pair)
B&W 801 (1 pair)
Dynaudio 5.1 System B15A with BX30 Sub (1 set)
Dynaudio M1 (1 pair)
Genelec S30 (1 pair)
HHB Circle 5 (1 pair)
KRK 9000B (1 pair)
Mackie HR 824 (1 pair)
ProAc 100 (1 pair)
Yamaha NS10M HiFi (4 pairs)
Yamaha NS10M Studio (3 pairs)

Attachments

• KRK 9000b.JPG
    KRK 9000b.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 32