Studio monitors for 300-400usd (my first ones!)

Dexterprog

So I finally have some money for my first pair of studio monitors. I am looking for 5" because I mix in my room (3 x 3 meters - 10 x 10 feet) and it is untreated (and it will be like this because it is my bedroom and because I just mix as a hobby - I MAY treat it in the future). What should I get for that money?

note: I live in Argentina, so prices are higher than in the USA.

I was considering:
- KRK rp5g2
- Yamaha hs50m (the room control things on the back look interesting considering my untreated room, but are they really effective?)
- Mackie Mr5
- KRK vxt4
- Behringer 2131 (actually, I'm pretty scared about Behringer stuff, even more since I live in Argentina and customer support can be shit)

but I have yet to start reading more on monitors, that is to say, I know shit about other options

All I've read is that getting something bigger than 5" (can't stop feeling gay when writing this stuff) will be counterproductive because of the small untreated room. I don't know how true this is, by the way.

pd: headphones are not an option. I am concerned about my ears and don't like headphones blasting at them :)

i can't really recommend anything as I'm probably 2-3 generations old from the "new " models.

i can say I never read much about KRK's breaking-down. they are a speaker company and its not a side project for them. i haven't owned them but tried out a few pairs and they were great.

as for size, I was always told 4 to 8 are nearfields.

good luck! have fun....keep posting your results.

Back