Studio Monitor question

About to get my first set of monitors, cheap, not sure what yet but I have questions.

My audio interface has 1/4 jack sockets for line out.
Most of the monitors I see have RCA leads.

So, will I be ok using rca to jack lines instead. I can't see a reaon why not, but ...
Pic shows RCA to jack sort of thing I have in mind.
3.jpg

Do you have a budget in mind? I'm a little doubtful that most true "monitors" don't have 1/4" input jacks.....so I have to wonder what you're looking at. Since you mention that it's your first set of monitors.......what are you listening to your playback on now? Are you using headphones? What headphones? Depending on your price range.......it may be better to wait until you can get at least "decent" monitors. Remember as well.......all monitors are only as good as your room. Lots of us wasted lots of money moving ahead without really knowing as much as we needed to. So........what's you set up....what's your room like?

Thanks Mickster:
I've been recording for 30 years - mixing on phones. Two indie chart top ten songs (a few years back).
Got myself a better room and wanted to try out mixing on monitors.
I am looking at these:
M-Audio AV32 Active Desktop Monitor ; Which have RCA inputs. HENCE MY INITIAL QUESTION.
SubZero SZSM-4A Studio Monitor, Pair.

I can just hear the tut tutting at such meagre selection of low quality poor sounding monitors.
But some of us are old and poor and it's as far as I can stretch.

Last edited:
No tut tutting here. I completely understand. Except for people with unlimited budgets.......there’s always a “better” product out there somewhere. I did a little reading on your choices. So.......if you prefer new.....between the two you are looking at I’d go for the 4” Subzero model. You can use your headphones to check low end. A 3” monitor is not likely better. You could consider buying used. It’s possible you might find a bargain on a 5” model somewhere.

No tut tutting here. I completely understand. Except for people with unlimited budgets.......there’s always a “better” product out there somewhere. I did a little reading on your choices. So.......if you prefer new.....between the two you are looking at I’d go for the 4” Subzero model. You can use your headphones to check low end. A 3” monitor is not likely better. You could consider buying used. It’s possible you might find a bargain on a 5” model somewhere.

Yeah. But I have squeezed a little tighter and am now looking at PreSonus Eris E4.5 4.5-inch, 2-way, High-Definition Active Studio Monitors which get way better reviewws etc.

Back