Studio monitor advice, if you please.

B.A. Stone

I currently use a pair of KRK v4s. Though generally good monitors, they are predictably lacking in low end response. So I'm looking to supplement them with a second pair with more oomph. Budgetary limits being what they are, I'm looking at Event Tuned Reference 6 or 8, MAudio BX8a, and Tapco S8. Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks for reading.

re: is there a certain reason you are not considering a sub?

I have no experience with a subwoofer. My concern is that since the bass sounds will not be coming out of the speakers in front of me, how do I know how much bass there truly is in the signal? How does one properly place a subwoofer in the room so that the bass you hear is trulyrepresentative of the mix? (Did I mention that I have no experience with a subwoofer?) Mind you, i'm not necessarily against the idea--I just don't understand how the sound is "experienced" by the ear when the unit is--as I understand--not placed directly in front of the listener. Please enlighten me as I'd be thrilled not to have to spring for a new set of monitors.

I had the exact same problem as you with my krk rp5's. They are good and accurate but really lacked in the bass range. I got the krk sub (also my first sub) and it has done wonders for my mixes. Obviously, you need to play around with the sub placement to find where it sounds best and there are no phase issues, but it doesnt hinder listening at all if the sub isn't right in front of you because the lower frequencies arent really directional. I highly recommend the sub route.

Lower frequencies are not very directional. In other words, those sound waves fan out extremely wide in a big hurry and fill the entire room. The human ears cannot easily discern where it is originating from. Your ears will fool you into believing that the bass is coming from the two smaller speakers, even if the sub is on the floor.

You can adjust the amount (volume) of bass on most powered subs. A few simple tests with some test tones and an spl meter will get it right in line with the rest of the spectrum.

Furthermore, bass sounds almost the same in mono as it does in stereo. Most built-in sub amps will sum the two channels together just for the sub, but keep it in proper stereo for the two monitors.

It works great. I love mine. For a few hundred bucks, you can have huge bass.

Oh, one more thing...

You may want to choose speaker size based on the size of your room. If your studio is fairly small (like a small bedroom) then perhaps an 8" or 10" will do. If you have a larger control room, I would spring for the 12" or bigger. Your usual monitoring volume can be a factor too.

You're facing the same situation that I did a year ago with my M-Audio BX5s. I picked up the SBX 8" sub ($200 on sale)--problem solved, after carefully integrating the sub. Form the research I did, I learned that 4" or 5" monitors are particularly well suited to a small sub unless you're working in a large room and need massive volume. Not everyone here likes using a sub, I know, but I'm very satisfied with my system in my small studio space--no more guessing and mixes are translating quite well.

One suggestion: buy a sub that has some sort of bass-management system (adjustable crossover) so that your sub and monitors don't overlap the low end. Many subs offer it, even some lower-end models, and it certainly helped me to integrate my system--that, and a lot of time getting to know my new system.

Good luck,
J.

+1 to the above.

I just got some v4's myself, and have not really had the chance to use them. I was very impressed with their smoothness and have the sense that they are not very ear fatiguing. I'm thinking that if they prove to be too weak in the bass department, that a sub will be the way to go.

Hey there--original poster here...

Don't get me wrong--the V4s are truly nice monitors. I can listen at them for hours and have no problems aside from the lack of bass response. I suppose that could have been solved by purchasing larger monitors but the KRKs get pricey pretty quickly when you start adding inches to the woofers.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Hey there--original poster here...

Don't get me wrong--the V4s are truly nice monitors. I can listen at them for hours and have no problems aside from the lack of bass response. I suppose that could have been solved by purchasing larger monitors but the KRKs get pricey pretty quickly when you start adding inches to the woofers.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

If you want to use the monitors for listening...save yourself some cash and buy bookshelf speakers:rolleyes:

Monitors are what they are for a reason...they arent there to sound beutiful dude...they are a tool to make your mixes translate to every set of speakers...you would be defeating the purpose to add a sub.

If you want to use the monitors for listening...save yourself some cash and buy bookshelf speakers:rolleyes:

Monitors are what they are for a reason...they arent there to sound beutiful dude...they are a tool to make your mixes translate to every set of speakers...you would be defeating the purpose to add a sub.

Well, yeah, I understand what studio monitors are for, and I use them only for mixing--not for pleasure listening. Why do you suggest that adding a sub would be a mistake? If my KRKs don't give me much of idea of the bass content, then my mixes don't translate to much of anything. My goal in adding a sub isn't to make things sound "good," but rather to make them more accurate.

Well, yeah, I understand what studio monitors are for, and I use them only for mixing--not for pleasure listening. Why do you suggest that adding a sub would be a mistake? If my KRKs don't give me much of idea of the bass content, then my mixes don't translate to much of anything. My goal in adding a sub isn't to make things sound "good," but rather to make them more accurate.

It sounds as though he misunderstood your last post. You know, "Listening for hours..."

I also recommend a sub. When you think about it, most music is going to get played back through a sub anyway (or headphones). Now almost every home sound system you see has a sub, computer speakers usually have a small sub, even many oem car systems have subs.

I don't have my sub on all the time however. I only use it to check the lowend when i'm fairly confident in my mix. I also may use it if i'm eqing a bassline or something as i just can't hear changes in my krk rp5's enough.

Original poster here again

Hey--I just wanted to say "Thanks so much" to all who responded to my query. I'm amazed at how helpful you all were. I submitted a similar question to another equipment-oriented sight and got nuttin'. I'll be listening to a few subs in the next few days. Thanks again.

Back