Which stereo speakers for listening to Tascam recordings?

mortstiff

I make a lot of recordings of my guitar playing using my Tascam DR40 recorder. After each session, I pop the memory card into my laptop and listen to select the best recordings. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a decent set of stereo speakers to connect to my laptop for this task. For a number of years, I've used a pair of Creative I-trigue 2.1 3300s, but one of the speakers is starting to rattle, so apparently it could no longer take louder play (these are 43 watts). I really liked these speakers, they had a small footprint, but the Creative I-trigue line appparently has been discontinued, and new Creatives don't seem to be wowing people. I'm looking for something relative inexpensive (around 100 euros/dollars), preferably with volume and tone controls (on a remote, wired or not). Virtually everything I look up on amazon seems to have a drawback, or receive negative reviews.

I make a lot of recordings of my guitar playing using my Tascam DR40 recorder. After each session, I pop the memory card into my laptop and listen to select the best recordings. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a decent set of stereo speakers to connect to my laptop for this task. For a number of years, I've used a pair of Creative I-trigue 2.1 3300s, but one of the speakers is starting to rattle, so apparently it could no longer take louder play (these are 43 watts). I really liked these speakers, they had a small footprint, but the Creative I-trigue line appparently has been discontinued, and new Creatives don't seem to be wowing people. I'm looking for something relative inexpensive (around 100 euros/dollars), preferably with volume and tone controls (on a remote, wired or not). Virtually everything I look up on amazon seems to have a drawback, or receive negative reviews.

So, you want loud, good quality, EQ and remote control for $100? Good luck with that son!

You can buy budget active monitors at around $200 a pair, not even close to "proper" monitors (need another zero) but likely better than the Creatives. They will not however have remote control. Did you want that just for volume control? If so you see most folks these days use an Audio Interface and control volume from that or, as I have done, invested in a passive controller (Mackie BK)

You could check Cash Generator and charity shops for an AV amplifier and a pair of hi fi speakers but you will be lucky to find anything quickly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R1...krk+speakers&qid=1559198442&s=gateway&sr=8-13
^ I could be wrong!

Dave.

Last edited:
Back