Soundproofing your computer (fan noise)?

TentilEight

does anyone know where you can buy an enclosure for a tower computer case in order to soundproof it? I know they made cases for noisy printers but my tower fan is really loud and I would like to enclose it, somehow. Any ideas?

You have to replace the case. Putting it in any type of exclosure will cause it to overheat even with the fans. I supose the SCSI disks the only noise problem now?

Only a few things make noise in the case:
-Power supply (replace that with one from the site)
-CPU fan (again replacements availible)
-Hardisks (this is the problem, fast doesn't usually exist in quiet)
-CD-ROM drive/CD-R (you're not gona' be using this durring recordings anyhow). as long as there isn't a cd in it it's not gona' do anything.

I doubt anything is gona' get thorough that chrome case hehe.

Not necessarily on the overheating...you could put it in a closet with long cables and you wouldn't overheat for a long time, if ever. You could also run it in the shipping carton (with slots cut for the cables) for short periods while actually recording.

I was thinking of building a 'baffle box' around it that would give it some ventilation and yes, only use it when I am recording. The fan in the box is really loud. To put it in my closet I would either need to re-arrange the studio or buy long-ass extension cables (30Ft or so) with SCSI III that would get pretty dam expensive.

I was thinking of building a 'baffle box' around it that would give it some ventilation and yes, only use it when I am recording. The fan in the box is really loud. To put it in my closet I would either need to re-arrange the studio or buy long-ass extension cables (30Ft or so) with SCSI III that would get pretty dam expensive.

I wonder if this ever got resolved.

I have the same situation. I'd like to be able to keep the computer at arm's length but the fan is most definitely an
issue. It's in a 4U rack mount case and uses one of those big fans that is situated beside the drive bays.
I'm thinking some sort of foam sandwich baffle of some sort. Anyone got a clue?

Instead of trying to deal with the symptoms (e.g. making a sound-proof box or similar), have you considered addressing the cause itself? What about replacing the existing power supply with a silent power supply, and doing the same with the CPU fan?

Instead of trying to deal with the symptoms (e.g. making a sound-proof box or similar), have you considered addressing the cause itself? What about replacing the existing power supply with a silent power supply, and doing the same with the CPU fan?

I don't know. My current system, which I am speaking of, is about 10 years old with an AMD athlon 800mHz CPU.
The case is less than a year old but still the ATX architecture. The fan I was referring to is about 3" diameter and
is right out there in front - I can figure out some of the means to quiet down the sheetmetal vibrational noise but
the fan up front is where the loudest portion of the noise is coming from.

Got any link leads???

I built a 4 sided 'drop over' cover with drywall corner bead and 2' rock wool. Things get a bit warm after a few hours but by then my ears need a break too.

Back