sound quality difference between George L .155 and .255 cables???

videodrone

I am going to be ordering some George L's and was going to go with the .225 because I assumed that the thicker cable would give me better sound quality. But after reading weveral articles, I seen that they said there is no sound quality difference between the .225 and the .155.

Is this true??? why would they bother making 2 sizes then???

???????

so does the .225 and the .155 have teh exact same sound quality??? I tried going the www.georgels.com and looking for an email so I could email the company but theres no email on the site that I can find.

The other interesting thing about that site is the TOTAL LACK of specifications available -

Could it possibly be that if you aren't buying the "sizzle", the "steak" ain't worth eating?

Word of advice - don't fall for a sales pitch based on "so-and-so uses them and loves them" - it's called hero worship, and it's been responsible for people buying shirts, shoes, cigars, even cars and trucks.

IF you want good quality cables, do some research on REAL performance factors and buy from a logical standpoint.

these george L cables (who is he, anyway?) may be OK for people who can't solder, but remember there's a ton of hype out there, aimed at people who either shop by favorite hero recommendation or buzzword.

IF you want quality and don't have lots of money, learn to solder and buy quality bulk cable and connectors and roll your own.

Also, if you're using un-balanced Hi Impedance connections, don't buy ANY cable that doesn't list capacitance-per-foot specs that are less than about 20 pF per foot. Your high freq response will be the first to go, so you turn up the treble, and turn up the noise at the same time... Steve

FWIW,

I have read good reviews on the quality of George L cables in Bassplayer and other mags.

Can't help you with the questioned differences between the the two cable models/gauges though. I suppose you could buy some of each and let us know.

I have also read great reviews on the George Ls. as far as hype goes, only one guy sponsors them and swears by the George Ls. I dont even remember his name or knwo who he is. The reason for choosing the George Ls is also not for the fact that there solderless. I have been soldering for the past year. I am not intimidated by it. The real reason I chose them were from the reviews on read on various places on the web. Many magazines and such. One magazine named them there cable of the year.

I do thank all the responses here though and thank yous for making me aware of possible hassles.

Do you guys know Tasker cables?
I have an internship with a PA company until january, and the owner only uses Tasker C128 for his XLR mic-cables. They feel good and look good too. All the specs are provided on the cable btw. I've been soldering for some weeks now and although it's still not 'beautiful soldering' it get's the job done... and always use those little 'shrink-sockets' over the ends of your signal wires. Together with gold plated Neutrik plugs, I think the Taskers are probably better than almost any pre-fab cable around... Only real expensive pre-fabs use those 'shrink sockets', you know those plastic 'tubes' that you shove over the cable and heat them so they get smaller and fit tight around the wire's end to provent any short circuiting with the shielding.

I've have used george l's to rewire my small home recording studio. There was a difference in sound quality, they sound crispier in the highs. I bought a roll of .155 Gepco International High performance Digital grade cable at http://www.stompin-ground.com. This brand of cable is a little thicker than the George L's so they wont kink as easily and the properties are little better.

Back