Sound Engineering For Dummies !

phoneguy44

Can anyone recommend a site to read up on Sound Engineering ?

What I'm after is just learning man. I want to know the capabilities of my equpment and how to use it properly. Take for instance my mixing board.
Once sound check is made, my faders are at " 0 " but when I want to turn volume up or down at certain points, do I use the faders or the gain. If I use the faders, what does this do to my signal, noise wise ?
Stuff like that. Where can I get some education online or anywhere on sound engineering ?

Thanks Guys !

Dennis

phoneguy44 said:
Once sound check is made, my faders are at " 0 " but when I want to turn volume up or down at certain points, do I use the faders or the gain. If I use the faders, what does this do to my signal, noise wise ?

:eek:

Faders are there to make a mix! The preamps and other circuitry are designed to work best at optimal levels. So, the idea is, you trim the preamp gain to get the signal around 0db, and work the faders for the volume...

If you have to ride the faders alot, like in theater gigs etc, you can set the gains to have your faders at 0, for easier fade outs etc. But in live situations, or studios, you have your ears to be the judge.

Yamaha wrote a book about it and I'd say it's a must have. Musiciansfriend.com would have one. Just do a search for it on the site.

Chris

Back