Sony AND Sennhieser RF wireless headphones too quiet

dgmshop

Hello,
I recently went to a wireless setup in my modest garage recording shop. My band typically jams on headphones since we only seem to be able to collaborate late at night. I have a Line 6 G90 rackmount wireless for my guitar (Signal path as follows: Guitar>G90>HD500X>RC-300 Looper>Line 6 KB37 interface>PC/Ableton Live 8>Line 6 KB37 (Monitor loop)>ART HeadAMP6. MIDI drums to PC, ableton and the Kb37 have a handshake, and it all blends pretty nicely. With wired headphones, each channel on the headphone amp can really blow the doors down. I bought a pair of Sony MDRRF985RKBK RF wireless headphones, and with the headphone amp level dialed 100%, and the input configured to just below peak, the sound is distinguishable, but not NEARLY as aggressive as the wired ones. Thinking it might've been the Sony's, I got a set of Sennhieser RS120's but much the same result The wired headphones we were using are Marshall and Sony, I don't consider them to be anything special. The headphone amp in designed for a headphone impedence range of 32 to 600 Ohms. The manual suggests that it isn't recommended to drive loads less than 16 Ohms, but advises that it can be done without damage, but the result may be limited max output power. The Sony headphones have an impedence of 32 Ohms, the Sennhieser's are 24 Ohm. Another phenomenon we experienced was a sort of plateau when the drums engaged the mix, they seemed to drop the guitar levels down. This was encountered when both wireless phones were on separate channels of the headphone amp. Both channels were maxed, and still only soft audio was present. Distinguishable, but nothing that will rock your socks off.
Please forgive me if this is a common mistake I'm making, but does the signal feeding the wireless phones transmitter have to be boosted above and beyond what the headphone amp is providing in order to achieve a high level? I DO have the volume jacked on the phones themselves as well.
Any help would be appreciated, I understand it may be a bit of a convoluted setup. If any more details are required, please post and I will provide as best I can.
Thanks

Back