Software Sax

Music Bear

Not sure where to post this, but here goes:

I am looking for some AMAZING sounding SAX software for Logic. I don't want just "Good", or even "Great" sounds...I already have those. It seems like Sax is one of those VERY hard-to-assemble software sounds. I own a few of the Vienna Library Orchestra packs, and even the Sax's on those are somewhat lame. I need more Pop, Top-40, Smooth Jazz type sounds, and I don't mind paying for them.

Anyone know of anything Stellar?

PS: Please don't tell me to hire a sax player. ;-)

Thanks!

Sorry, but as a sax player I have to tell you you're just not going to find a GREAT one.

A sax is the closest instrument to human vocals; there's things going on with the horn, the mouthpiece, the reed, your lips, your tongue, your throat, and your diaphram. Plus we can do things going from note to note that just can't be achieved with samples.

That's another reason why no two sax players really sound alike, too.

Sorry, but as a sax player I have to tell you you're just not going to find a GREAT one.

Yea, so far, you are right. They finally figured out how to get a GREAT guitar, so hopefully they will figure out a sax sometime during my lifetime.

I guess Keyboard Players and Sax Players have job security!

ditto ........ have made my living playing sax for 40+ years.
I've NEVER heard a sax patch that was very convincing to me although, obviously, I'm gonna be more sensitive to it that you will.

I did hear someone using one of those Yamaha wind synths once that came close but that's about it and I don't have any idea if he was using a Yamaha patch or some other software.
Sorry

Garritan Big Band has some pretty nice saxes.
http://www.garritan.com/jazz.html

Mmmmm.....actually I should have mentioned that I already have Jazz&BigBand; I still wouldn't use the saxes there for a lead. They do OK for sections though and using a windsynth REALLY helps to get a decent performance out of 'em.

What you really want is something that is a PHYSICAL MODELER. That means it duplicates the sound flowing through the horn and throat/head of the player using some pretty fancy math.

I also use a WX-5 windsynth with a Yamaha vl70-m physical modeling synth box and it does a fairly decent job (although I still would rather use one of my real horns on leads.) Runs about $1300 for the pair and you have to play it like a 'real' sax. Take a listen to some of the patches of Matt's incredible TuboVL chip for the vl70-m sometime:
http://www.patchmanmusic.com/turbovl.html

Back