Software that keeps it simple

Delmont

Hey!

All the info online about DAW software goes on and on about plug-ins, effects, drum tracks, and other stuff I'll never want.

I don't want to correct pitch or add chorus or emulate the plexi sound. I just want to record instruments and voices. I want:

- easy editing.
- high quality.
- to spend no more than $200.

So what software choices are good for the person who likes the raw, unhomogenized sounds of folk, old country/western, pre-Beatles rock, and gut-bucket blues?

Thanks!

Del
( •)—:::

Hey Del, I'm from S. Jersey but I have a camp in East Machias, Me.
Ok, that one's easy. Just google... Cakewalk by bandlab it's now a FREE DAW download that was once the top of their line. It will do everything you need and the learning curve is pretty easy, very intuitive

Hey!

All the info online about DAW software goes on and on about plug-ins, effects, drum tracks, and other stuff I'll never want.

I don't want to correct pitch or add chorus or emulate the plexi sound. I just want to record instruments and voices. I want:

- easy editing.
- high quality.
- to spend no more than $200.

So what software choices are good for the person who likes the raw, unhomogenized sounds of folk, old country/western, pre-Beatles rock, and gut-bucket blues?

Thanks!

Del
( •)—:::

Hi Delmont!

A person here notes you might have a Mac, so your answer to what I'm thinking might not help because I have a PC. I am wondering what you ended up doing now 1 1/2 yrs later. Did you use Cake Walk? I'm in a similar category as you. I just want to video myself playing guitar my own original music and maybe a cover song and post it on YouTube. Before I spend money on a license for the cover song my budget is so tight I have to consider editing software. The only thing I might do is add a slight reverb to my original songs... or maybe not even that if I can put a video on YouTube of my own original music and later buy a $200 program. I want to post the best quality I can as when presenting my music I feel I'm putting my best foot forward when I care about the quality my viewers will have. Part of that I feel is very good editing software. Maybe later I will add while I play something like nice country scenes etc as I think the viewers just seeing me, nothing to look at ha, will be boring for them. Do you find that if all the viewers see is the musician playing their guitar that it's not as entertaining as adding in things like scenes etc to be true? Are you posting your music to YouTube? Also because my debut is going to be a cover song I'm told I must buy a “synchronization license” which will probably cost a lot. Hope things have worked well for you.

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Hi Delmont!

A person here notes you might have a Mac, so your answer to what I'm thinking might not help because I have a PC. I am wondering what you ended up doing now 1 1/2 yrs later. Did you use Cake Walk? I'm in a similar category as you. I just want to video myself playing guitar my own original music and maybe a cover song and post it on YouTube. Before I spend money on a license for the cover song my budget is so tight I have to consider editing software. The only thing I might do is add a slight reverb to my original songs... or maybe not even that if I can put a video on YouTube of my own original music and later buy a $200 program. I want to post the best quality I can as when presenting my music I feel I'm putting my best foot forward when I care about the quality my viewers will have. Part of that I feel is very good editing software. Maybe later I will add while I play something like nice country scenes etc as I think the viewers just seeing me, nothing to look at ha, will be boring for them. Do you find that if all the viewers see is the musician playing their guitar that it's not as entertaining as adding in things like scenes etc to be true? Are you posting your music to YouTube? Also because my debut is going to be a cover song I'm told I must buy a “synchronization license” which will probably cost a lot. Hope things have worked well for you.

Carpe Diem!
Winfred
Hi, Winfred -

I'm still dithering but getting closer. No one has given me any conlcusive advice. I do know that I'll want 32-bit capability.

After all I've read, I'm leaning toward Reaper. Their promotional videos are a little easier to understand, and a few people have said they like working with it.

And I'll buy a laptop PC. I don't want to hog our home computer with my music hobby, and PCs cost less than Macs. (For good reason. But it's only rock 'n' roll . . . .)

Ultimately, I suspect that any DAW software is fine once you get used to it. I've used Pro Tools a few times, and it wasn't awful. My main complaint was that it had too many features — like looking at a 747 instrument panel when all I need is a '65 VW dashboard.

I like videos that are just the musician or band playing, but I don't expect to be making videos of myself. If I can just create CD-worthy recordings, mission accomplished.

Keep up the good music!

747.jpg

vw.jpg

same here. you'll get used to which DAW you use.
Reaper is where I landed too because I thought it was simple. (and was Free trial forever)

I look at the Tracking part the DAW is pretty much a Reel to Reel deck.
PLug in a mic and record a source sound. DAW- Select which channel the sound is coming from, hit record and its "rolling".

I like to track like a caveman, simple. But if the mood hits you can splash fx on as it goes in.

Then put all the gear away and go into "Mixing mode" and "render" that creates a 2-track version in MP3 or Wave all within Reaper.
During MIX , Ive realized I only use a few plugins 90% of the time....maybe 3 or 4.(though I have 100's). EQ and Compressors,

Same here ...with a Windows cheap$ tower and Reaper.

I'd say DAW/PC is easier than using reel /reels, cassettes, minidiscs, zip cards, an adat…… amazing Save As and Editing functions.

Enjoy!

Reaper can let you do one track or 4....or whatever many you want.

for gut bucket blues…:drunk: you wont need much...doing it solo w/overdubs or a band-in-a-van....
you can do it as simple as 1 mic source 1 , Track 1...
or add more tracks... it really operates like a Reel to Reel... imo.
it has a built in click too.. for timing

Bit Depth...Im listening to Mozart 24/ 44.1, 48, 96....Im not hearing the difference?... a lot of great stuff was recorded on 16/44.1

Attachments

• Grace 901.png
    Grace 901.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 22
I use Reaper and have found it the most reliable / intuitive to use after using FL Studio for several years and a few days of trying out Cakewalk and Ableton.

Back