signal processing plugins vs. hardware

travelin travis

I have read on more than one occasion that the best compression plugins are about as good as the low budget hardware compressors. I've only ever owned one hardware compressor that never saw any use and that was long ago.

For those that know (have hands on experience with both), does the same hold true for eq, reverb, delay, etc.? I know from experience that guitar amp sims pale in comparison to the real hardware and drum plugins like bfd leave alot to be desired. In your opinion, is there a similar difference between signal processing plugins and the real hardware?

Are all of us digital babies only getting half the deal?

Most reverbs, delays, modulation effects ARE digital - Although you use many of them through analog connections.

Otherwise, yes, I'm hooked on analog dynamics and EQ's. Although I've found several digital EQ's that I like quite a bit.

I'm gonna disagree with that statement. There are some software compressors that rock, and are much better than budget hardware ones. I doubt the Waves RComp is worse than a Rane Compressor (which sucks, btw).

Same with most other plugins. There are good ones, bad ones, and everything inbetween. I play drums and use BFD, and I can make BFD sound like a real kit. In fact, it sounds better than most recordings I've heard. It's all a matter of getting good plugins and LEARNING how to use them. That's actually the problem with piracy. You get a million people using software, never taking the time to actually learn it, and then they swarm BBS's saying they suck (I'm not accusing you of this at all, but take a look in the cubase forum, or any other software forum for that matter).

well you get what you pay for....

For example, lets take the waves SSL plug-in pack that just came out recently.

Based off the functionality (supposedly) of some of the better SSL consoles out there, yet tailored to fit in the world of DAWs. You gotta imagine the incredible scrutiny a plug in is gonna get when it's supposed to be a digital representaion of a famed master buss compressor you could only find on a million dollar board. Same with EQs and other dynamic fx.

I have been an SSL kid on and off since I was 19 (not too long), so it's kind of hard for me to imagine how I will react when I get my gritty hands on that bundle and try to "listen for that familiar sound".

But on the other hand, I see the future as the new generation of kids getting used to the sound of digital. Think about it...

MP3s are the new cassette (lo-fi storage mediums). CDs where the new Vinyl. CDs are slowly being given a makeover with new technolgies like SACD and DVD technologies, etc. So nothing has really changed, but rather upgraded.

So when it comes to plug-ins and how they compare to outboard, and if it even matters, then it's really hard to say.

I've seen people do amazing things with analog, and yet others do amazing things with digtal. However, if you are blessed to afford getting one of your mixes done on an SSL (or something like it), then it becomes immediately apparent where alot of plug-ins fall short.

I've liked software compressors and reverb better than cheap hardware I've used. I've ended up using all my cheap hardware more for live sound than recording.

I don't have any hardware that's of the quality of my Waves linear phase multiband, L2 or the PLParEQ. But I don't have much hardware. It was much easier to get software, as you can try it before buying.

Tim

I think the UAD plugs sound great. Mind you, I don't have any outboard gear, so all I can compare them with are the native daw plugs I've used.

I haven't heard their new Neve EQ, but by all accounts it's a pretty close emulation.

Seems to be one big advantage of onboard dsp is that unlike outboard gear where you're restricted to 1 or 2 channels at a time per unit, with onboard you can usually run several instances before running out of puff

in the latest EM some 'bigtime' producer just blabbed about this same subject for awhile (basically saying the old-school producers who dont like any plugins, do so because they dont know how to use them)

I agree with Lee Rosario - you get what you pay for

Back