Shure Pet Sounds vs SM58 and more...

CoolCat

Shure 5455, aka 545.. the lead vocal mic on the big album of yesteryear that costs $91.
OK the backing and harmonys were all done on a tube U47 but the lead vocal mic was often the Shure 5455.

At $91 I bought one. Brand new. It arrived and was cool, and has stickers, great clip and just polished to perfection. Reading about the others posting who all have been to this "camping ground decades before I arrived" mentioned it is a noticeable sound difference and crisp and clear vs the 58, not as much low mids and low end...and I agree. It is part of a CLASSIC series made in CHINA. (Timeline US made 1960-1985.. ...Mexico 1985- to present....China starts 2005- 2020....it starts getting confusing as they have several overlaps)

In a deep mix this mic is kind of already eq'd, it has the sound of HPF being on and some presence boosted in the +7k range maybe 10khz...but its cool.

The plosives was a bit more like a SM57 vs the better Grill of a SM58....so 6inches way and a pop filter works well. It comes wired for Low Z (and has High Z change option)...low mentions 150-actual 250ohm.

the output is similar to a SM58, in my small closet with walls so close the 5455 likes the same things any mic in here likes. In a large studio theres probably more benefit to the pattern and rejection.

Pet Sounds studio gear
Portlandia - The Studio - YouTube

Attachments

• Shure 545.png
    Shure 545.png
    670.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back