Sennheiser HD280pro v Sennheiser HD380pro ?

18pcs

The more expensive HD380pro are available to me cheaper than the 280's. Can someone please advice if the 280's are better or should I go for the 380's. My use will be mixing a few songs, and then using with the Ipod etc. I am amateur. Thanks for all advice

Thanks for your reply. I live in Poland and here the 380hd pro are selling cheaper than the 280pro. I was surprised how a $199/- headphone could be selling cheaper than the $99/- headphones and was thus attracted to them. Also the carrying case and portability make this a better choice for me as I can take them on my travels. However if the sound is too colored, it makes no sense and is better to buy the more true sounding ones. I unfortunately do not have the option of monitors yet.

I think the 380's are supposed to be the more 'accurate' ones, but I'm not sure if that's true. I have the 280's and they're good for tracking. I got them specifically for tracking bass. They have pretty good isolation, but then I haven't had much to compare them to. I have the Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones also, and they are much better for 'monitoring', if you're going to try to mix on headphones. The traditional wisdom says that you can't mix on headphones, but that rule was created when people listened to music mostly on home stereos or in the car. Now most music is heard on ipod earbuds, so, unless you're creating music for film scores or video games, I don't think the old rules apply anymore.

Back