Scarlette 2i4 mkii DBV/DBU

yoshi420

Hello,

The manual for this interface lists the rca outputs as -10dbv (fixed), but a couple pages later lists the “maximum output level” as +5.5dbu.

Can someone explain this to me? If it’s a fixed level at maximum volume and outputs at -10dbv already, how would it get to outputting at +5.5dbu?

The -10 dBV is line operating level. Sound reinforcement or "pro audio" gear usually runs at the other line level spec of +4 dBu. It's a greater amount of voltage. RCA connectors typically run at the consumer line level spec of -10 dBV. It's an average value. Basically if your powered speakers had a switch that could go from +4 to -10, you'd set it to -10 or else connect it to a receiver or something that runs at that level.

Headroom is needed because of the dynamics of sound signals. Sound waves with a lot of transients can easily peak over the average line level. If the maximum output level is +5.5 dBu, that's the point where it distorts and farts out. If you convert the number to dBV you can calculate the headroom. 20 to 30 dB headroom is in the good to generous range. The Scarlett has a bit less than than but should still be okay if you don't slam it too hard.

I'm reading the specs as :

Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS) Balanced Line/TRS Outputs: +10 dBu
Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS) Unbalanced Line/RCA Outputs (1-4): +5.5 dBu

Back